Hadoop Ecosystem Specialist/Consultant
**Remote/Work From Home Opportunity**
Do you thrive on solving tough problems under pressure? Are you motivated by fast-paced environments with continuous learning opportunities? Do you enjoy collaborating with a team of peers who push you to constantly up your game?
At Pythian, we are building a Site Reliability Engineering team that is focused on Hadoop service operations and open source, cloud-enabled infrastructure architecture. We need motivated and talented individuals on our teams, and we want you!
You’ll act as a technology leader and advisor for our clients, as well as a mentor for other team members. Projects would include things such as Hadoop deployment, upgrade, disaster planning, system and ecosystem tuning, infrastructure architecture, performance analysis, deployment automation, and intelligent monitoring.
You will work with amazing clients from small, high-velocity startups to large enterprises with complex, hybrid infrastructures and large data processing requirements.
- Flexible environment: Work remotely from home.
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Generous vacation: Start with a minimum 3 weeks’ vacation.
- Personalized training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; experiment and explore using our in-house sandbox; participate in professional development days.
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
- Deploy, operate, maintain, secure and administer solutions that contribute to the operational efficiency, availability, performance and visibility of our customers’ infrastructure and Hadoop platform services, across multiple vendors (i.e. Cloudera, Hortonworks, MapR).
- Gather information and provide performance and root cause analytics and remediation planning for faults, errors, configuration warnings and bottlenecks within our customers’ infrastructure, applications and Hadoop ecosystems.
- Deliver well-constructed, explanatory technical documentation for architectures that we develop, and plan service integration, deployment automation and configuration management to business requirements within the infrastructure and Hadoop ecosystem.
- Understand distributed Java container applications, their tuning, monitoring and management; such as logging configuration, garbage collection and heap size tuning, JMX metric collection and general parameter-based Java tuning.
- Observe and provide feedback on the current state of the client’s infrastructure, and identify opportunities to improve resiliency, reduce the occurrence of incidents and automate repetitive administrative and operational tasks.
- Contribute heavily to the development of deployment automation artifacts, such as images, recipes, playbooks, templates, configuration scripts and other open source tooling.
- Understand the end-to-end operations of complex Hadoop-based ecosystems and manage / configure core technologies such as HDFS, MapReduce, YARN, HBase, ZooKeeper and Kafka.
- Comprehensive systems hardware and network troubleshooting experience in physical, virtual and cloud platform environments, including the operation and administration of virtual and cloud infrastructure provider frameworks. Experience with at least one virtualization and one cloud provider (for instance, VMWare, AWS, and Azure) is required.
- Experience with development, design and deployment of:
- Configuration management tools, such as Puppet, Chef and Ansible
- Infrastructure layer deployment tools, such as Terraform, Packer, CloudFormation and Azure Resource Manager)
- Coding and continuous integration tools, such as Git, Jenkins and CircleCI, test frameworks such as Beaker and Test Kitchen, and unit tests with rspec, serverspec, busser, bash, etc.
- Be conversant about cloud architecture, service integrations, and operational visibility on common cloud (AWS, Azure, and Google) platforms. Understanding of ecosystem deployment options and how to automate them via API calls is a huge asset.
- Ability to pick up new technologies and ecosystem components quickly, and establish their relevance, architecture and integration with existing systems.
Want to know more? See what puzzles we’ve been working on - read posts from our Pythian Blog!
Intrigued to see what it is like to work at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife.
Stay connected with us! Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
DISCLAIMER: An equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered. Pythian is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a security check.
All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States of America or Canada permanently– Pythian will not sponsor, or file petitions of any kind on behalf of, a foreign worker to become a U.S/Canada permanent resident based on a permanent job offer, or to otherwise obtain authorization to work in the U.S/Canada