Traveling DevOps Engineer/Consultant
Remote/Work from Home Opportunity
Pythian is a global IT services company that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies to advance innovation and increase agility. Our highly skilled technical teams work as an integrated extension of our clients’ organizations to deliver continuous transformation and uninterrupted operational excellence.
- Flexible environment: Work remotely from your home!
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Generous vacation: Start with a minimum 3 weeks’ vacation. New baby? Take an extra 2 weeks.
- Substantial training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; experiment and explore using our in-house sandbox; participate in professional development days.
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; join our monthly cheese tastings with our resident cheese sommelier in Ottawa; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
What Does Success Look Like?
A DevOps Engineer is a technical expert than can build high quality technical solutions to achieve business objectives. They are responsible for working both independently, and on teams, to understand the path of a project, provide insight on implementation details, and deliver world class solutions.
DevOps Engineers must be experts in their areas of specialization, and be willing to branch out into new technologies. Automation is a way of life to DevOps Engineers, and they understand how to balance complexity and functionality.
DevOps Engineers must be able to work with both technical and non-technical team members at Pythian and at client sites. Time reporting and project tracking are necessary parts of the work that DevOps Engineers do. DevOps Engineers frequently travel to sit with client teams and collaborate with them in their offices. They become part of our clients’ teams in order to build trust and to provide leadership.
At the end of the day, DevOps Engineers create interesting solutions using cutting edge technology. They support internal Pythian teams, and use their skills to deliver value to our clients. They are constantly learning and are thought leaders within the organization.
- Traveling to be on-site with our clients for days or weeks at a time, and focusing on becoming embedded with our clients’ teams.
- Project technical implementation.
- Implementing continuous integration and continuous delivery processes and tools.
- Auditing existing architectures, documenting best practices and recommendations.
- Providing component or site-wide performance optimizations and capacity planning.
- Troubleshooting a variety of systems to provide prompt stability issue resolution.
- Working with client development teams directly to help engineer highly available infrastructure
- Implementing a number of configuration management frameworks and products designed to ubiquitously orchestrate clusters.
- Building out complete operational visibility solutions including monitoring, alerting, graphing, and log aggregation tools
- Creating and managing development environments which cater to software engineering workflows.
- Recommending best practices & improvements to current operational processes.
- Communicating status and planning activities to customers and team members.
- Project level work: Keeping ticket statuses, time logs and reports current.
- Senior consultants are expected to be able to lead projects from requirements through delivery to completion
- Providing component or site-wide performance optimizations and capacity planning models.
- Creating automated provisioning solutions for servers, environments, and data centers.
- Supporting the sales team by participating in pre-sales calls with potential clients to help scope new work, and collect technical information about client environments.
- Continuously learning and improving their technical skillset by growing knowledge of existing skills, and learning new technologies that may be useful for future work.
- Other duties, as assigned by one’s Director.
QUALIFICATIONS: The position requires specialized knowledge and experience in performing the following:
- The ability to travel to client sites.
- Experience architecting applications on major cloud provider platforms such as AWS, Azure, or GCP.
- Hands on experience as an administrator of Linux or Windows, preferably both.
- Proficient at writing scripts for maintenance and automation in a variety of languages (e.g. Bash, Python, Ruby, or Powershell).
- Basic to advanced programming skills using popular languages such as Python, Ruby, Java, Node.JS, C#, etc.
- Skilled with common configuration management tools (Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc.)
- Skilled with DevOps workflows and tools (Vagrant, Docker, etc.)
- Skilled with common CI/CD tools (Jenkins, Bamboo, Unit testing frameworks, Artifactory, Maven, etc.)
- Strong writing skills, and the ability to clearly communicate complex ideas and designs through written and spoken word.
- A professional attitude, and the ability to work through conflict by empathizing with others and engaging in mutually beneficial negotiation.
- The ability to be diplomatic, but also to assert contentious view points, when necessary, in a respectful and professional manner.
- The ability to self-start and quickly learn new skills.
- Strong drive and well-cultivated personal habits for continuing education
- Interfacing with external customers, strong customer service focus with the ability to manage customer expectations and priorities
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Self-motivated and directed, while working in a fast-paced demanding environment
- Keen attention to detail
- Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities
- Very effective organizational skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Aptitude for mentoring fellow colleagues
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
EDUCATION: Undergraduate degree in computer science, computer engineering, information technology or related field.
Intrigued to learn more?
Check out our DevOps Blog Posts
Read articles from Alex Lovell-Troy
Check us out on Twitter to get a feeling of what it is like to work at Pythian:
DISCLAIMER: An equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered. Pythian is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a security check.
All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States of America or Canada permanently– Pythian will not sponsor, or file petitions of any kind on behalf of, a foreign worker to become a U.S/Canada permanent resident based on a permanent job offer, or to otherwise obtain authorization to work in the U.S/Canada