North America - EST Coverage Remote / Work from Home Opportunity
2018 sees Pythian continuing to grow and build a next-generation of expert teams. This means that although this position is not available today it will be open in the near future. In preparation for this demand, we are welcoming applicants to apply now, and if select to continue through the interview process as we are forecasting this position to be active and in “ready to hire” status within the next 3-6 months.
Pythian is a global IT services company based in Ottawa, ON, who specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We have continued to expand to offer not just services but also to focus on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. Our highly skilled technical teams work as an integrated extension of our clients’ organizations to deliver continuous transformation and uninterrupted operational excellence. Due to continued growth and success the job of DevOps Consultant is forecast to open in the near future in the North American DevOps Transformation Team. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
As the DevOps Consultant you must be a technical expert than can build high quality solutions to achieve business objectives. You will be responsible for working both independently and on teams, to understand the path of a project, provide insight on implementation details, and deliver world class solutions. Is automation is a way of life to you? Do you understand how to balance complexity and functionality? At the end of the day, DevOps Engineers create interesting solutions using cutting edge technology and use their skills to deliver value to our clients, if this sounds like you then apply!
What Will You Be Doing?
- As a DevOps Consultant you must be able to work with both technical and non-technical team members at Pythian and at client sites.
- Time reporting and project tracking are necessary parts of the work that DevOps Consultants do.
- As a DevOps Consultant Engineer you will become part of our clients’ teams in order to build trust and to provide leadership.
- Implementing continuous integration and continuous delivery processes and tools.
- Auditing existing architectures, documenting best practices and recommendations.
- Providing component or site-wide performance optimizations and capacity planning models.
- Troubleshooting a variety of systems to provide prompt stability issue resolution.
- Working with client development teams directly to help engineer highly available infrastructure
- Implementing a number of configuration management frameworks and products designed to ubiquitously orchestrate clusters.
- Building out complete operational visibility solutions including monitoring, alerting, graphing, and log aggregation tools
- Creating and managing development environments which cater to software engineering workflows.
- Recommending best practices & improvements to current operational processes.
- Communicating status and planning activities to customers and team members.
- Project level work: Keeping ticket statuses, time logs and reports current.
- Senior consultants are expected to be able to lead projects from requirements through delivery to completion
- Creating automated provisioning solutions for servers, environments and data centers.
- Continuously learning and improving their technical skillset, by enhancing existing skills and learning new technologies that may be useful for future work.
What Do We Need From You?
- An undergraduate degree in computer science, computer engineering, information technology or related field.
- Hands on experience as an administrator of Linux or Windows, preferably both.
- Proficient at writing scripts for maintenance and automation in a variety of languages (e.g. Bash, Python, Ruby or Powershell).
- Basic to advanced programming skills using popular languages such as Python, Ruby, Java, GoLang, Node.JS, C#, etc.
- Skilled with common configuration management tools (Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc.)
- Skilled with DevOps workflows and tools (Vagrant, Docker, Terraform, etc.)
- Skilled with common CI/CD tools (Jenkins, Bamboo, Unit testing frameworks, Artifactory, Maven, etc.)
- Experience architecting applications on major cloud provider platforms such as AWS, Azure, and GCP.
- Ability to clearly communicate complex ideas and designs.
- Be diplomatic, but also to assert contentious viewpoints, when necessary, in a respectful and professional manner.
What Do You Get in Return?
- Competitive total rewards packages
- Why Commute? Work remotely
- Outstanding people Collaborate with the industry’s top minds
- Substantial training allowance Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days
- Office Allowance Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment
- Fun, fun, fun Get social every Friday with some refreshments and edible delights, blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife. Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open in Ottawa and around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check