WANTED: Senior SQL Server Database Consultant
Pythian is a global IT services company that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies to advance innovation and increase agility. Our highly skilled technical teams work as an integrated extension of our clients’ organizations to deliver continuous transformation and uninterrupted operational excellence.
Are you community minded? Inspired by ever-shifting challenges, constant growth and collaboration with a team of peers who push you constantly to up your game? At Pythian, we are actively shaping what it means to be an open-source database engineer and administrator, and we want you to be a part of the world’s largest team of MSSQL professionals.
- Flexible environment: Work remotely from your home! There´s no travel requirements!
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Generous vacation: Start with a minimum 3 weeks’ vacation. New baby? Take an extra 2 weeks.
- Substantial training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; experiment and explore using our in-house sandbox; participate in professional development days.
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
OVERVIEW: The SQL Server Database consultant will, as part of a team based approach, supply complete support for all aspects of database and application infrastructure to a variety of clients, as assigned.
- Coordinating, analyzing, designing, implementing and administering IT solutions
- Recommending best practices for improvements to current operational processes
- Configuring and maintaining database servers
- Supporting SQL Server Database services
- Administering backup procedures and disaster recovery plans
- Troubleshooting operational problems
- Administering proactive daily checks
- Responding to monitoring alerts
- Presenting technical courses to customers
- Participating in on-call coverage rotation plan
- Communicating status and planning activities to customers and team members
QUALIFICATIONS: The position requires specialized knowledge and experience in performing the following:
- Installing, configuring and upgrading SQL Server 2008 - 2016 databases(2017 soon)
- SQL Server Administration including:
- Managing Server and Database storage
- SQL Server third party tools
- Performance tuning of database server
- SQL Server management tools
- Designing and implementing various backup/recovery strategies
- Replication, log shipping, mirroring, clustering, AlwaysOn
- SSRS & Power BI, SSIS, and BI experience
- Coding scripts, procedures, functions, etc.
- Strong TSQL scripting and tuning experience
- Performance tuning experience
- Developing methods for monitoring
- SSAS: Support of cubes, ETL processes and data warehouse environments
- Supporting cloud migrations and environments, would be considered and asset
- Awareness of development practices including but not limited to agile and waterfall
- Working directly with external customers
- Project managing
- White paper writing, blogging and presenting skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Administering cloud solutions inc but not limited to Azure, AWS and Google Cloud
- Developing cloud solutions inc but not limited to Azure, AWS and Google Cloud
- Ability to lead and design technical project roadmaps with clients and internally
- Powershell experience an advantage
- Automation experience an advantage
- Interfacing with external customers, strong customer service focus with the ability to manage customer expectations and priorities
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Self-motivated and directed, while working in a fast-paced demanding environment
- Keen attention to detail
- Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities
- Very effective organizational skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
- Understanding of current IT service standards such as ITIL
- Participate in on-call rotation and periodic overtime
- Ability to perform primary job functions while standing or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dexterity of hands and fingers (or skill with adaptive devices) to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other computing equipment
- The incumbent must spend long hours in intense concentration
- Stress may be caused by the need to complete tasks within tight deadlines
- Shifted Work Week (Saturday - Wednesday OR Sunday - Thursday). Eligible for Salary Premium
EDUCATION: Undergraduate degree in computer science, computer engineering, information technology or related field or equivalent experience.
DISCLAIMER: An equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered. Pythian is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a security check.