DevOps Principal Architect
Remote/Work from Home Opportunity with Travel Requirement
Pythian is a global IT services company that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies to advance innovation and increase agility. Our highly skilled technical teams work as an integrated extension of our clients’ organizations to deliver continuous transformation and uninterrupted operational excellence.
- Flexible environment: Work remotely from your home!
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Generous vacation: Start with a minimum 3 weeks’ vacation. New baby? Take an extra 2 weeks.
- Substantial training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; experiment and explore using our in-house sandbox; participate in professional development days.
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; join our monthly cheese tastings with our resident cheese sommelier in Ottawa; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
What Does Success Look Like?
A Principal Architect is a technical expert that is also adept at managing projects, and planning complex work. They are responsible for interacting with clients, collecting project requirements, generating implementation recommendations and estimates, and then implementing and delivering the completed project to the client with the help of a team. Principal architects can successfully manage projects of all sizes, and of varying length.
A Principal Architect must be able to be successful at all stages of a project from pre-sales to final delivery of project deliverables. Principal architects are technical leaders with high levels of skill and experience. They also are skilled at interacting with clients at all levels of their organizations to understand needs, developing an understanding of requirements, building short and long-term roadmaps around those requirements, educating and helping team members begin work on projects, and overseeing and contributing to the delivery of project technical implementation.
Principal Architects must be comfortable and capable of working with people of all technical skill levels and able to offer proven technical solutions while communicating clear value to project stakeholders. They are leaders both internally and externally and hold a great deal of responsibility.
- Project technical design creation and documentation for both large and small projects.
- Creating client-facing time estimates for technical implementation and delivery for both large and small projects.
- Project technical implementation.
- Planning sprint tasks and providing direction to project team members.
- Overseeing deliverables from the rest of the project team, and acting as a quality control gate by providing feedback and coaching for other members of the team, having deliverables be re-worked when necessary.
- Managing client relationships with regards to the current project to which the principal architect is assigned.
- Working with clients and business leaders to understand technical and business requirements.
- Discovering client requirements, and using them to write comprehensive statements of work. These documents include business language to quantify ROI for business leaders, and technical work breakdown structures to describe in detail the work to be performed, with relevant technical commentary sufficient for both internal and client evaluation.
- Estimating the technical effort for client projects, both large and small.
- Implementing technical project work, and delivering it to clients.
- Evaluating, and recommending third party software and technology packages.
- Providing component or site-wide performance optimizations and capacity planning models.
- Auditing existing architectures, documenting best practices, and making recommendations that align with client needs and objectives.
- Creating automated provisioning solutions for servers, environments, and data centers.
- Supporting the sales team by participating in pre-sales calls with potential clients to help scope new work, and collect technical information about client environments.
- Continuously learning and improving their technical skill set by growing knowledge of existing skills, and learning new technologies that may be useful for future work.
- Being an expert on a wide range of tools and platforms beyond what other team members know, and for learning new technologies quickly as required by the current sales pipeline.
- Periodic travel to client sites for face-to-face meetings and presentations.
- Other duties, as assigned by one’s Director.
QUALIFICATIONS: The position requires specialized knowledge and experience in performing the following:
- Experience architecting applications on major cloud provider platforms such as AWS, Azure, or GCP.
- Hands on experience as an administrator of Linux or Windows, preferably both.
- Strong understanding of web application architecture for high performing and scalable applications.
- Experience supporting common open-source application stacks such as Java, Ruby, or Python applications.
- Proficiency in at least one popular programming language, such as Java, Ruby, or Python.
- Proficient at writing scripts for maintenance and automation in a variety of languages (e.g. Bash, Python, Ruby, or Powershell).
- Skilled with common configuration management tools (Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc…)
- Skilled with DevOps workflows and tools (Vagrant, Docker, etc…)
- Skilled with common CI/CD tools (Jenkins, Bamboo, Unit testing frameworks, Artifactory, Maven, etc…)
- Strong writing skills, and the ability to clearly communicate complex ideas and designs through written and spoken word.
- A professional attitude, and the ability to work through conflict by empathizing with others and engaging in mutually beneficial negotiation.
- The ability to be diplomatic, but also to assert contentious viewpoints, when necessary, in a respectful and professional manner.
- The ability to estimate projects that are up to, and longer than six months in length.
- The ability to lead large teams of up to, or more than eight people.
- The ability to occasionally travel to client sites.
Intrigued to learn more?
Check out our DevOps Blog Posts
Read articles from Alex Lovell-Troy
Check us out on Twitter to get a feeling of what it is like to work at Pythian:
DISCLAIMER: An equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered. Pythian is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a security check.
All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States of America or Canada permanently– Pythian will not sponsor, or file petitions of any kind on behalf of, a foreign worker to become a U.S/Canada permanent resident based on a permanent job offer, or to otherwise obtain authorization to work in the U.S/Canada