Senior Systems Administrator (Ottawa)
Pythian is a global IT services company that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies to advance innovation and increase agility. Our highly skilled technical teams work as an integrated extension of our clients’ organizations to deliver continuous transformation and uninterrupted operational excellence.
Do you thrive on solving tough problems—even under pressure? Are you motivated by fast-paced environments with continuous learning opportunities? Do you enjoy collaborating with a team of peers who push you to constantly up your game?
At Pythian, we are building a next-generation Senior Systems Admin. We need motivated and talented individuals on our teams, and we want you!
You’ll act as a technology leader and advisor for our clients, as well as a mentor for other team members.
The Senior Systems Admin will, as part of a team based approach, supply complete support for all aspects of server, network, storage and application infrastructure to Pythian’s internal Information Technology systems.
Minimum 5 Years of working experience in following:
- Expert Linux server skills and reasonable Windows knowledge. RHEL, CentOS, etc. Virtualization specifically VMWare vSphere, VMWare Horizon View
- Veeam Backup Solutions
- Clusters and HA solutions
- AWS experience
- System Monitoring
- Networking experience, specifically Cisco and OpenVPN, Fortigate
- Active Directory
- Security Experience - firewall configuration, audit and intrusion detection systems
- Management and automation tools and methods
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills; capable of writing proposals or papers, acting as a vendor liaison, making presentations to management, customers and peers, and working closely with upper management.
- Ability to solve problems quickly and automate processes.
- A solid understanding and practical experience with modern IT concepts including cloud computing, Hyper-converged systems, operating systems, virtualization, networking, storage, distributed computing, high availability, consolidation
- A solid understanding and implementation experience of security methods, processes and procedures
- Ability to program in an administrative languages for automation purposes
- Oversee the day to day operations of Pythian’s critical infrastructures, ensure they are available to meet the needs of the company and it’s clients
- Provides coordination, analysis, design, implementation, and administration of IT solutions, including support of various operating systems and utilities
- Analyzes Pythian’s infrastructure and processes and recommends to Pythian, as appropriate, best practices for improvements to current operational processes and procedures
- Provides configuration and maintenance of various components including but not limited to servers, storage, networks and backup devices
- Provides administration of backup procedures and disaster recovery plans, provides proactive monitoring and respond to monitoring alerts as well as carry out troubleshooting of operational problems
- Oversees backup, clustering, mirroring, and failover restoration and recovery of corrupted servers
- Develop and review action plans (such as maintenance, deployment, upgrades, etc.)
- Develops a thorough understanding of all relevant Pythian information including warnings, handoffs, briefing notes, etc.
- Assists the Team Lead with respect to Incident Management, Problem Management and Problem Resolution, implements Changes and Service Requests, and designs/implements technical procedures for complex changes.
- Keeps Company-relevant personal information up to date including resume, contact information, security clearances, certifications, passport and. If applicable, work permits and travel visas.
- Keeps Pythian information up to date including contact information, connectivity to various assets, escalation procedures, standard operating procedures such as wikis, and client specific security clearances. Maintains and is responsible for Pythian specific assets such as soft or hard access tokens, access cards and any other hard or soft asset provided, dedicated to or owned by Pythian.
- Maintains alignment with Pythian process requirements including, but not limited to, handovers, documentation and process acknowledgements, and incident reviews.
- Suggests and possibly designs/implements new monitoring checks, enhancements to SA toolkits, and other process improvements such as Initial Reviews, Performance Reviews, Audits, etc.
- Suggests improvements to systems tools such as Avail NG, etc., especially but not limited to those that increase the value of the service that Pythian brings to its clients.
- Assists fellow team members on technical tasks as required, provides on-going help and mentoring of new employees, and assists in the preparation and presentation of employee training courses as agreed upon with one’s manager
- Other Duties As Assigned By Director, Technical Services
- Develops as a leader and challenges others to develop as leaders.
- Inspires coworkers to attain goals and pursue excellence.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement and makes constructive suggestions for change.
- Manages the process of innovative change effectively.
- Remains on the forefront of emerging industry practices.
- Consistently acknowledges and appreciates each team member's contributions.
- Effectively utilizes each team member to their fullest potential.
- Motivates team to work together in the most efficient manner.
- Keeps track of lessons learned and shares those lessons with team members.
- Mitigates team conflict and communication problems.
- Plans and facilitates regular team activities outside of the office.
- Conducts effective performance evaluations and mentors those with less experience through formal channels.
- Helps team execute career development plans.
- Seeks and participates in development opportunities above and beyond training required.
- Trains other innovators through both formal and informal training programs.
- Encourages more junior innovators to take responsibility for their development within the company.
- Challenges fellow innovators to progress toward their professional development goals.
- Suggests areas for improvement in internal processes along with possible solutions.
- Leads internal teams/task forces
- Complies with and helps to enforce standard company policies and procedures
- Administer and participate in the team’s on-call rotation
- Collaborate with internal development teams and database administrators
Undergraduate degree in computer science, computer engineering, information technology or related field or relevant experience.
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Substantial training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days.
- Office Allowance: Purchase a device of your choosing and personalize your work environment
- Fun, fun, fun: Get social every Friday with some refreshments and edible delights, blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity
Want to know more? Check out this blog post about what it’s like to work at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered.
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer.
- All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check.