Windows Site Reliability Consultant
Remote/Work from Home Opportunity
Location/Timezone: TBD (EST-PST)
Do you thrive on solving tough problems—even under pressure? Are you motivated by fast-paced environments with continuous learning opportunities? Do you enjoy collaborating with a team of peers who push you to constantly up your game?
At Pythian, we are building a next-generation Site Reliability Engineering team. We need motivated and talented individuals on our teams, and we want you!
You’ll act as a technology leader and advisor for our clients, as well as a mentor for other team members. Projects would include things such as infrastructure architecture, automation, and intelligent monitoring systems from the design phase through the implementation phase. You will work with amazing clients such as Sonos, Harvard Business Publishing and others from small start-ups to huge enterprises.
- Operate, maintain and administer solutions that contribute to the operational efficiency, availability and visibility of customer infrastructure.
- Planning maintenance activity, design documentation and standard procedures
- Provide Root Cause Analysis reports for outages/incidents (ITIL - Problem Management)
- Observe and provide feedback on the current state of the client’s infrastructure, and identify opportunities to improve resiliency, reduce the occurrence of incidents and automate repetitive administrative and operational tasks.
- Responsible for improving and maintaining team documentation about client systems and infrastructure, procedures, policies and schedules.
- Gather and document information about client environments through audit activities, and analyze the information to identify opportunities for improvement and application of best practices.
- Work collaboratively with team mates to contribute to the continuous improvement of our working culture.
- Act as a technology leader for clients
- Windows Server 2003 - 2012 R2 installation, configuration and performance tuning
- Active Directory architecture, deployment, migration and group policy management
- Cloud, server virtualization, and virtual application services
- Fundamental TCP/IP networking, NIC teaming, and network services configuration (DNS, NTP, DHCP, etc.)
- Administration of web servers and supporting technologies, including network load balancers, IIS and .NET applications
- Experience with System Center or related technology in the areas of:
- Systems and application monitoring
- Configuration management and provisioning
- Microsoft cluster technologies
- Scripting and automation of administrative tasks using PowerShell and / or Desired State Configuration
- Familiarity with ITIL principles (change/incident management, etc)
- Ability to pick up new technologies quickly
Desirable/’Nice-to-Have’ Networking Skills:
- Familiar with Cisco command-line interface
- Strong understanding of routing (including VRF) and dynamic routing protocols (OSPF, EIGRP, BGP) and Multicast
- Knowledge of WAN technologies such as DMVPN and MPLS
- Knowledge of Cisco ASA firewalls and IPSec VPN
- IP network flow/packet analysis using appropriate toolsets e.g wireshark
- Solarwinds Orion (Network Performance Monitor)
- Load Balancing (F5 BIG-IP LTM)
- Cisco Security Manager client
- WAN acceleration such as Cisco WAAS
- Asterisk PBX
- Cisco ISE/ACS
- Flexible environment: Work remotely from home
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Generous vacation: Start with a minimum 3 weeks’ vacation.
- Personalized training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; experiment and explore using our in-house sandbox; participate in professional development days.
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
Want to know more? Check out this blog post about what it’s like to work at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered.
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer.
- All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check.
All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States of America permanently– Pythian will not sponsor, or file petitions of any kind on behalf of, a foreign worker to become a U.S permanent resident based on a permanent job offer, or to otherwise obtain authorization to work in the U.S