Oracle Database Consultant in the US!
Pythian continues to grow and build a next-generation Oracle expert teams.
Pythian is a global IT services company that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies to advance innovation and increase agility. Our highly skilled technical teams work as an integrated extension of our clients’ organizations to deliver continuous transformation and uninterrupted operational excellence.
Why Commute? Why Relocate? Apply for this remote opportunity!
- Flexible environment: Work remotely from your home!
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Generous vacation:Start with a minimum 3 weeks’ vacation. New baby? Take an extra 2 weeks.
- Substantial training allowance:Hone your skills or learn new ones; experiment and explore using our in-house sandbox; participate in professional development days.
- Fun, fun, fun:Blog during work hours; join our monthly cheese tastings with our resident cheese sommelier in Ottawa; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
OVERVIEW: The Oracle Database Consultant will, as part of a team based approach, supply complete support for all aspects of database and application infrastructure to a variety of clients, as assigned.
- Coordinating, analyzing, designing, implementing and administering IT solutions
- Recommending best practices for improvements to current operational processes
- Configuring and maintaining database servers
- Supporting Oracle Database services
- Administering backup procedures and disaster recovery plans
- Troubleshooting operational problems
- Administering proactive daily checks
- Responding to monitoring alerts
- Presenting technical courses to customers
- Participating in on-call coverage rotation plan
- Communicating status and planning activities to customers and team members
QUALIFICATIONS: The position requires specialized knowledge and experience in performing the following:
- Installing, configuring and upgrading Oracle databases
- Oracle Administration including:
- Various storage engines
- Oracle customer tools
- Performance tuning of Oracle databases
- Oracle technical support
- Oracle tools
- Designing and implementing various Oracle backup/recovery strategies
- Oracle replication and slave setup
- Coding scripts, procedures, functions, etc.
- Developing methods for monitoring
- Linux/Unix and Shell scripting
- Experience with RAC
- Working directly with external customers
- Project managing
- White paper writing, blogging and presenting skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Interfacing with external customers, strong customer service focus with the ability to manage customer expectations and priorities
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Self-motivated and directed, while working in a fast-paced demanding environment
- Keen attention to detail
- Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities
- Very effective organizational skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
- Understanding of current IT service standards such as ITIL
- Participate in on-call rotation and periodic overtime
- Ability to perform primary job functions while standing or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dexterity of hands and fingers (or skill with adaptive devices) to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other computing equipment
- The incumbent must spend long hours in intense concentration
- Stress may be caused by the need to complete tasks within tight deadlines
EDUCATION: Undergraduate degree in computer science, computer engineering, information technology or related field or equivalent experience.