Cloud Infrastructure Specialist
As the Cloud Infrastructure Specialist you will work as part of an agile continuous delivery team and you will act as a technology leader and advisor for our clients, as well as a mentor for other team members. Projects would include things such as cloud infrastructure architecture, automation, and intelligent monitoring systems from the design phase through the implementation phase. You will be working to develop new frameworks and scalable infrastructure utilizing technologies such as AWS, MuleSoft, OutSystems, Automation, Docker Containers, NodeJS, Java etc.
What Will You Be Doing?
- Building and maintaining an AWS cloud infrastructure.
- Helping the current team to increase their cloud knowledge.
- Operating, maintaining and administering solutions that contribute to the operational efficiency, availability and visibility of infrastructure.
- Planning maintenance activity, design documentation and standard procedures
- Provide Root Cause Analysis reports for outages/incidents (ITIL - Problem Management)
- Observing and providing feedback on the current state of the infrastructure, and identify opportunities to improve resiliency, reduce the occurrence of incidents and automate repetitive administrative and operational tasks.
- Gather and document information about environments through audit activities, and analyze the information to identify opportunities for improvement and application of best practices.
- Work collaboratively with team mates to contribute to the continuous improvement of our working culture.
What Do We Need From You?
While you may not have everything on the list, to be sucessful in this job you are likely to have skills and experience such as;
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related degree (or equivalent experience in software engineering)
- 3 years experience in a similar infrastructure specialist, system administrator, sysadmin or sysops type role.
- Experience working with at least one major cloud provider (AWS, Azure, Google for example)
- Some experience working with Jira or similar
- Have experience deploying cloud based monitoring systems.
- Some understanding the end to end operations of a ‘Business System’ vs components
- Comprehensive systems hardware and network troubleshooting experience
- Common Linux distribution platform installation, configuration and performance tuning
- TCP/IP networking, NIC bonding and network services configuration (DNS, NTP, DHCP, SMTP, etc.)
- Operation and administration of virtual infrastructure, including experience with at least one hypervisor (VMware, Hyper-V, KVM, etc.)
- Ability to describe IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, pros and cons of each, use cases for virtualization and cloud
- Administration of web servers and supporting technologies, including network load balancers
- Scripting and automation of administrative tasks using bash, perl, python, ruby, etc.
- Experience with the design, development and deployment of at least one major configuration management framework (i.e. Puppet, Ansible, Chef)
- System and application error investigation, troubleshooting of access/availability issues including deep multi system root cause analysis
- Experience managing networking devices, such as switches and firewalls from a variety of vendors
- Some knowledge of DevOps tools, processes, and culture
- Exposure and operational experience with network monitoring systems (NMS)
- Ability to pick up new technologies quicklly
- Desire to work in a fast paced, deadline driven, start up like environment
What Do You Get in Return?
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds
- Substantial training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days
- Office Allowance: Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment
- Fun, fun, fun: Get social every Friday with some refreshments and edible delights, blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity
Pythian is a global IT Data company based in Ottawa, ON, that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We have continued to expand to offer not just services but also to focus on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. Pythian is seeking a Cloud Infrastructure Specialist who will serve as a technical contributor to Pythian's Software-Defined Enterprise (SDE) a team that acts as a hub for innovation within Pythian, who are charged with the research and development of new product offerings. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife. Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open in Ottawa and around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check