Cassandra Database Consultant
Location : US
Pythian is a global IT services company that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies to advance innovation and increase agility. Our highly skilled technical teams work as an integrated extension of our clients’ organizations to deliver continuous transformation and uninterrupted operational excellence.
Why Commute? Why Relocate? Apply for this remote opportunity!
- Flexible environment: Work remotely from your home!
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Generous vacation:Start with a minimum 3 weeks’ vacation. New baby? Take an extra 2 weeks.
- Substantial training allowance:Hone your skills or learn new ones; experiment and explore using our in-house sandbox; participate in professional development days.
- Fun, fun, fun:Blog during work hours; join our monthly cheese tastings with our resident cheese sommelier in Ottawa; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
OVERVIEW: The Cassandra Database Consultant will plan, design and implement new solutions, evaluate existing solutions and help build automation tooling and processes. You will be included on a third tier on call rotation with other Consultants to respond to escalations but will be primarily focused on project work, debugging performance degradations, audits, and health checks. Once trained in, you will be expected to provide training and mentoring to junior team members. Working as part of the open source database team gives you the opportunity to work with multiple database systems, as well as the infrastructures supporting complex, distributed systems including cloud infrastructure, configuration management, orchestration and continuous delivery platforms. A year as a Cassandra DBC at Pythian can hone your skills, helping you to grow into a senior role, with a breadth of knowledge in platforms and technologies that few professionals can boast of.
- Design and help implement new Cassandra deployments
- Evaluate existing clusters and provide recommendations on best practices
- Debug high priority issues on mission critical production environments
- Be involved with Cassandra community through user lists, irc, blog posts, webinars, and open source projects
- Contribute to rapid brainstorming, designing and developing of prototypes
- Automate and provide documentation on operational procedures
- Train and mentor junior team members
- Provide performance and forecast reports on the health and load of critical business processes to help ensure the infrastructure has adequate capacity
- Participate in company, and team meetings
- Continued education in Pythian’s Operations as a Service supported stack
QUALIFICATIONS: The position requires specialized knowledge and experience in performing the following:
- Experience with at least one programing language such as Java, Go, C#, C++, Ruby, or Python. Java preferred
- 3+ Experience with NoSQL databases such as Cassandra, Solr, HBase, Hadoop, or Riak. Cassandra experience preferred
- 5+ years experience with web applications, distributed systems and databases
- Experience with multiple orchestration and configuration management systems
- Familiar with multiple monitoring/alerting and metric collection systems
- Continuous integration and automation practices
- B.S., M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Self-motivated and directed, while working in a fast-paced demanding environment
- Keen attention to detail
- Active listening skills
- Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities
- Very effective multi-tasking and organizational skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
- Understanding of current IT service standards such as ITIL
- The ability to learn quickly on the job
- Generally 8 hour shifts, with on-call and occasional coverage of other shifts for Level 3 escalation
- Ability to perform primary job functions while standing or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dexterity of hands and fingers (or skill with adaptive devices) to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other computing equipment
- The incumbent must spend long hours in intense concentration
- Stress may be caused by the need to complete tasks within tight deadlines
- Occasional travel as agreed upon with one’s Director.
- This position has time zone affinity where 100% of your workday should be executed during the normal business day of the majority of your clients.
Pythian welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.