Linux Site Operations Consultant
Do you thrive on solving tough problems—even under pressure? Are you motivated by fast-paced environments with continuous learning opportunities? Do you enjoy collaborating with a team of peers who push you to constantly up your game?
At Pythian, we are building a next-generation Site Reliability Engineering team. We need motivated and talented individuals on our teams, and we want you!
You’ll provide operational support to clients’ servers, applications, and network systems. Along with daily client infrastructure maintenance, you’ll manage networks and servers for everything from small start-ups to huge enterprises. You’ll work with innovative clients, such as Sonos, Harvard Business Publishing, and many more.
- Operate, maintain and administer open technology solutions that contribute to the operational efficiency, availability and visibility of customer infrastructure. Plan and execute maintenances, execute scheduled tasks and follow procedural documentation.
- Observe and provide feedback on the current state of the client’s infrastructure, and identify opportunities to improve resiliency, reduce the occurrence of incidents and automate repetitive administrative and operational tasks.
- Contribute to, improve and maintain team documentation about client systems and infrastructure, procedures, policies and schedules.
- Gather and document information about client environments through audit activities, and analyze the information to identify opportunities for improvement and application of best practices.
- Work collaboratively with team mates to contribute to the continuous improvement of our working culture.
- Participate in on-call rotation for customer escalations.
- Essential systems hardware and network troubleshooting experience
- Common Linux distribution platform installation, configuration and performance tuning
- Fundamental TCP/IP networking, NIC bonding and network services configuration (DNS, NTP, DHCP, SMTP, etc.)
- Operation and administration of virtual infrastructure, including experience with at least one hypervisor (VMware, Hyper-V, KVM, etc.)
- Experience working with at least one major cloud provider (AWS, Azure, Google for example)
- Ability to describe IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, pros and cons of each, use cases for virtualization and cloud
- Administration of web servers and supporting technologies, including network load balancers
- Scripting and automation of administrative tasks using bash, perl, python, ruby, etc.
- Experience with the operation and administration of at least one major configuration management framework (i.e. Puppet, Ansible, Chef)
- System and application error investigation, troubleshooting of access/availability issues
- Exposure to networking devices, such as switches and firewalls from a variety of vendors
- Awareness of DevOps tools, processes, and culture
- Exposure and operational experience with network monitoring systems (NMS)
- Basic Windows Operating System & Troubleshooting Knowledge
- Ability to program in one or more modern programming languages, example: Python, Golang, Ruby, etc.
- Flexible environment: Work remotely from home
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Generous vacation: Start with a minimum 3 weeks’ vacation.
- Personalized training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; experiment and explore using our in-house sandbox; participate in professional development days.
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
Want to know more? Check out this blog post about what it’s like to work at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to and should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their manager and in compliance with local and federal laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities and aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.