Big Data Consultant | Developer
North America | Remote | Work From Home | Telecommute
Why Commute? Why Relocate? Apply for this remote opportunity!
As the Big Data Consultant you will plan, design and implement new solutions using modern Big Data technologies and provide onsite and remote consulting services to Pythian clients. This client-facing role requires strong technical leadership skills, ability to drive projects to success and work under pressure in fast-paced environments.
As a member of the Big Data Team, you will also provide support in the area of internal advocacy for new products and technologies as well as external advocacy supporting Pythian’s external profile such as conference participation, open-source projects contributions, blogging and writing white papers.
What Will You Be Doing?
Provide support to Pythian clients on all aspects of Big Data technologies, including but not limited to:
- Data processing requirements analysis
- Big Data platform architecture taking into account requirements of data ingestion and access patterns, scalability, response time and availability. This include both on premise Hadoop-based platforms as well as cloud specific technologies like Amazon Redshift, Google Bigquery and others.
- Advisory and recommendations on Big Data technologies and products including hardware and software
- Big Data infrastructure deployment and configuration
- Performance tuning for batch and real-time data processing
- Securing components of clients’ Big Data platforms
- Diagnostics and troubleshooting of operational issues
- Health-checks and configuration reviews
- Data pipelines development – ingestion, transformation, cleansing
- Data flow integration with external systems
- Integration with data access tools and products
- Assisting application developers and advising on efficient data access and manipulations
- Defining and implementing efficient operational processes
What Do We Need From You?
The position requires broad range of knowledge and skills in the area of database management and software development gained through a combination of formal education, professional certifications, and significant work experience. This position requires out of the box thinking, creative mindset and “anything possible” attitude. Fast paced intense environment regularly pushing the barriers of one’s skills, knowledge and experience.
Successful candidate will possess most the following and demonstrate ability to learn them and start applying in practice quickly
- Experience transforming business requirements into software or system design
- Designing and implementing complex data processing applications
- Strong experience with Hadoop/Spark and cloud technologies
- Strong background in relational databases
- Strong Linux/Unix experience
- Experience and working knowledge of various development platforms, frameworks and languages such as Python, Java or Scala
- General knowledge of modern data-center and cloud infrastructure including server hardware, networking and storage
- Experience with BI platforms, reporting tools, data visualization products, ETL engines
- Experience in design and implementation of real time analytics pipelines
- DevOps experience. Ansible and Terraform experience is a plus
What Do You Get in Return?
- Competitive total rewards packages
- Why Commute? Work remotely
- Outstanding people Collaborate with the industry’s top minds
- Substantial training allowance Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days
- Office Allowance Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment
- Fun, fun, fun blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity
Pythian is a global IT services company based in Ottawa, ON, who specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. Our highly skilled technical teams work as an integrated extension of our clients’ organizations to deliver continuous transformation and uninterrupted operational excellence. Due to continued planned growth and success of the North American Big Data Team the job of Big Data Principle Architect is now open. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife. Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open across North America and around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check