Big Data Principal Architect
North America | Remote | Work From Home | Telecommute
Why Commute? Why Relocate? Apply for this remote opportunity!
As the Big Data Principal Architect you will be a recognized thought leader in Big Data technologies and related business metrics for enterprises and startups alike. You will conduct strategic planning of an organization’s Big Data platform maturity with a focus of fulfilling business requirements around cost, scalability and flexibility of the platform. You will draft technology roadmaps documenting best practice gaps with precise steps of how to get there. As an architect you will work with project managers and consultants to ensure that each new iteration of functionality conforms to best practices, which demonstrate easily understood business value, and that design impacts are fully understood across all dimensions of our operation. You will also implement the details of the backlog you have helped build, consistent with best practices and customer satisfaction.
What Will You Be Doing?
- Be a thought leader in Big Data architecture space
- Lead pre-sales and new project estimation process
- Mentor internal and external teams while delivering against an agile backlog
- Model standards of excellence for internal and external written communication
- Develop application data architecture models to further enable effective service oriented delivery.
- Research, evaluate and formally recommend third party software and technology packages
- Audit existing architectures, document best practices and recommendations
- Providing component or site-wide performance optimizations and capacity planning
- Work with client development teams directly to help engineer highly available, more manageable Big Data platforms
- Periodic travel to client sites for face to face meetings and presentations
- Manage and meet the expectations for deliverable completion timelines.
What Do We Need From You?
- Experience Architecting Big Data platforms using Apache Hadoop, Cloudera, Hortonworks and MapR distributions
- Strong knowledge of cloud data processing architectures
- UNIX/Linux hands on experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of data warehouse concepts
- Strong understanding of distributed systems architecture
- Be fluent in at least 2 object oriented language, preferably java and python, and have familiarity with functional languages as well.
- Proficient in SQL. Experience with Hive and Impala.
- Experience with several major distributed processing frameworks: Mapreduce, Spark, Spark Streaming, Storm, Flink.
- Experience with Kafka
- Proven ability to work with software engineering teams and understand complex development systems and patterns
- Experience with BI platforms, reporting tools, data visualization products, ETL engines
- Real-time Hadoop query engines like Dremel, Cloudera Impala, Facebook Presto or Berkley Spark/Shark
- DevOps experience
- Experience with Hbase
- Demonstrated understanding of continuous delivery and deployment patterns and tools (Jenkins, Artifactory, Maven, etc)
What Do You Get in Return?
- Competitive total rewards packages
- Why Commute? Work remotely
- Outstanding people Collaborate with the industry’s top minds
- Substantial training allowance Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days
- Office Allowance Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment
- Fun, fun, fun blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity
Pythian is a global IT services company based in Ottawa, ON, who specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. Our highly skilled technical teams work as an integrated extension of our clients’ organizations to deliver continuous transformation and uninterrupted operational excellence. Due to continued planned growth and success of the North American Big Data Team the job of Big Data Principle Architect is now open. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife. Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open across North America and around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check