MySQL Database Consultant
Location: US | Remote | Work from Home
2018 sees Pythian continuing to grow and build a next-generation of expert teams. This means that although this position is not available today, we are forecasting this position to be active and in “ready to hire” status within the next 3-6 months.
In preparation for this demand, we are welcoming applicants to apply, and if chosen, to continue through the interview process at this time which includes: technical stages and discussions with Human Resources.
Are you community minded? Do you blog, contribute to the Open Source community? Are you inspired by ever-shifting challenges, constant growth and collaboration with a team of peers who push you constantly to up your game? At Pythian, we are actively shaping what it means to be an open-source database engineer and administrator, and we want you to be a part of the world’s largest team of MySQL, Cassandra, and MongoDB professionals.
Want to know more? Check out our MySQL Blog Page to see what puzzles we have been working on - read posts from Valerie Parham Thompson & Derek Downey!
What will you be doing?
- The Database Consultant (DBC) will, as part of a team based approach, supply complete support for all aspects of database and application infrastructure to a variety of clients, as assigned. Our collaborative MySQL environment means everyone works together to solve complex puzzles and develop innovative solutions for our clients. Cross-functional training in NoSQL, Site Reliability Engineering and DevOps methodologies are encouraged.
What do we need from you?
While we understand you might not have everything on the list, to be successful you are likely to have skills such as;
- The position requires specialized knowledge and experience in installing, configuring and upgrading MySQL databases & MySQL Administration. Debugging skills, MongoDB and Scripting/automation tooling experience is a huge plus.
- Strong ability to work in both a team oriented environment and also under minimal supervision.
- Strong ability to adapt and to learn quickly.
- Good customer service focus with the ability to handle customer expectations and priorities.
- Disciplined in their learning process.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Good analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Effective organizational skills.
- Demonstrate sound work ethics.
- Very good documentation skills.
- Nice to have - Understanding of current IT service standards such as ITIL.
- Scripting (bash/python) and Ansible experience is a huge plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Contributor to Open Source projects relevant to MySQL, MongoDB or other database or infrastructure software.
What do you get in return?
- Competitive total rewards package
- Flexible work environment: Why commute? Work remotely from your home, there’s no daily travel requirement to the office!
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Substantial training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days, attend conferences, become certified, whatever you like!
- Amazing time off: Start with a minimum 3 weeks vacation, 7 sick days, and 2 professional development days!
- Office Allowance: Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment!
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
Established in 1997, Pythian is a global IT Data company based in Ottawa, Canada that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We are focusing on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
As a MySQL Database Consultant in the US, you will be part of our Customer Service Delivery team that is entrusted to manage our global client's mission critical systems as well as deploying cutting edge technology from blockchain to serverless and cloud databases, covering all modern data and infrastructure. They deliver first class personalized level of service to our clients across financial, educational, media, retail and many more.
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian? Check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife.
Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open in the US and around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered.
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- The successful applicant will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check.
- All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States of America permanently– Pythian will not sponsor, or file petitions of any kind on behalf of, a foreign worker to become a U.S permanent resident based on a permanent job offer, or to otherwise obtain authorization to work in the U.S.