Junior Software Developer
Ottawa, ON preferred but any location with coverage for EST (Remote, Work from Home)
Pythian is a global IT Data company based in Ottawa, ON, that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We have continued to expand to offer not just services but also to focus on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. Pythian is seeking a Junior Developer that will serve as a technical contributor to Pythian's Tehama Platform Team a business is focused on productizing and scaling this expertise by orders of magnitude. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
Pythian is seeking a junior full stack software developer you will work as part of an agile continuous delivery team and collaborate with designers, senior developers, operators, project managers, be involved throughout the development process and provide essential feedback to the team to support product delivery others to help deliver product capabilities and features to Pythian's groundbreaking Cloud based platform project (Tehama). You will be working to develop new cloud first solutions including the automation of infrastructure utilizing technologies such as NPM, Node.js, Typescript and AWS. If you have a passion for development and problem solving this could be the job for you!
What Will You Be Doing?
- Developing web, mobile, server and desktop applications quickly and with quality.
- Writing code, tests, research and analyse, to become an expert in cutting-edge technologies, frameworks, architecture and design.
- You will move fast: look for new ideas, quickly prototype, A/B test, and move to production.
- Working with development and project management teams to define user story acceptance criteria during a sprint, break down complex stories into tasks, and estimate, plan and deliver.
- Interacting with architects, UX, and Ops.
- Assuming various agile development and DevOps roles as required.
- Staying up-to-date with development trends, cloud technologies, open source, and best practices.
- Collaborating with cross-functional team members on all aspects of development and process.
- Be mentored by more senior developers, doing code reviews and peer programming
What Do We Need From You?
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related degree (or equivalent experience in software engineering)
- 1-2 years of professional software development experience
- Familiarity with AWS, or some other IaaS platform (GCE, Azure), is a big plus
- Solid knowledge in developing large-scale web applications and/or large-scale server applications is essential. Knowledge in DevOps orchestration and tooling a plus
- Knowledge of developing large-scale server applications and/or micro-services using various languages and frameworks (Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python, Ruby on Rails).
- Skills in a variety of SQL (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Hibernate/ORM) and/or NoSQL databases (Cassandra, Mongo, RethinkDB, ElasticSearch) is a plus
- Creativity and out of the box thinking
- The desire to work in a fast paced, deadline driven, start up like environment
What Do You Get in Return?
- Competitive total rewards packages
- Why Commute? Work remotely
- Outstanding people Collaborate with the industry’s top minds
- Substantial training allowanceHone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days
- Office Allowance Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment
- Fun, fun, fun Get social every Friday with some refreshments and edible delights, blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife. Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open in Ottawa and around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check