Full Stack Cloud Software Developer
Pythian is a global IT services company based in Ottawa, ON, that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We have continued to expand to offer not just services but also to focus on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. Pythian is seeking a full stack cloud software developer that will serve as a technical contributor to Pythian's Software-Defined Enterprise (SDE) a team that acts as a hub for innovation within Pythian, who are charged with the research and development of new product offerings. We are looking for developers who consider themselves either specialists in back-end server technologies or UI technologies but ideally both. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
As the full stack cloud developer you will work as part of an agile continuous delivery team and collaborate with designers, senior developers, operators, project managers, and others to help deliver product capabilities and features. You will be working to develop new frameworks and scalable infrastructure utilizing technologies such as AWS, MuleSoft, OutSystems, Automation, Docker Containers, NodeJS, Java etc. If you have a passion for development and problem solving this could be the job for you!
What Will You Be Doing?
- Developing web, mobile, server and desktop applications quickly and with quality
- Writing code, writing tests, research, analyse to become an expert in cutting-edge technologies, frameworks, architecture and design
- Move fast: look for new ideas, quickly prototype, A/B test, and move to production
- Work with development and project management teams to define user story acceptance criteria during a sprint, break down complex stories into tasks, and estimate, plan and deliver
- Interacting with architects, UX, and Ops. Participate in architecture, design, and review meetings
- Assume various agile development and DevOps roles as required
- Stay up-to-date with development trends, cloud technologies, open source and best practices
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members on all aspects of development and process
What Do We Need From You?
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related degree (or equivalent experience in software engineering)
- Solid experience in a similar developer job, developing large-scale web applications and/or large-scale server applications
- Experience in the development of large-scale server applications and/or micro-services using various languages and frameworks (Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python, Ruby on Rails)
- Experience with variety of SQL (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Hibernate/ORM) and/or NoSQL databases (Cassandra, Mongo, RethinkDB, ElasticSearch) is a plus
- Familiarity with DevOps tooling for development (Docker, Vagrant), orchestration (Kubernetes, Google, or AWS cloud) and deployment (Ansible, Puppet, Chef). Experience in production deployments on IaaS (AWS, GCE, Azure, OpenStack) and PaaS (CloudFoundry) a plus
- Familiarity with Jira or other productivity platform extension development is a plus
- Experience with Kanban, Scrum and/or other agile development methodologies
- Adept at evaluating open source frameworks, commercial frameworks and technology options
- Desire to work in a fast paced, deadline driven, start up environment
- Ability to communicate effectively, both oral and written, in a team setting
What Do You Get in Return?
- Competive total rewards packages
- Why Commute? Work remotely
- Outstanding people Collaborate with the industry’s top minds
- Substantial training allowance Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days
- Office Allowance Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment
- Fun, fun, fun Get social every Friday with some refreshments and edible delights, blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife. Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open in Ottawa and around the world!
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer
- All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check