Full Stack Software Developer
Ottawa, ON | Any Location Coverage for EST, PST, CST Timezone | Remote | Work from Home
Do you want to work in an agile start up like environment with new technology? As the Full Stack Software Developer you will work as part of an agile continuous delivery team and collaborate with designers, senior developers, operators, project managers, and others to help deliver product capabilities and features to Pythian's groundbreaking cloud based data analytics product (KickAaas). You will be working to help develop a brand new cloud first solution (no legacy work here!); you get to work with cutting edge technologies and frameworks as part of an agile continuous delivery team and collaborate with other developers, project managers, and data engineers to help deliver product capabilities and features. We are looking for generalists, comfortable with both backend and frontend development, wielding both to deliver new product features.
What will you be doing?
- Develop software applications quickly and with quality
- Develop Big Data applications in Spark and NiFi quickly and with quality
- Write code, write tests, research, analyse, and become an expert in cutting-edge technologies, frameworks, architecture and design
- Move fast: look for new ideas, quickly prototype, A/B test, and move to production
- Work with development and project management teams to define user story acceptance criteria during a sprint, break down complex stories into tasks, and estimate, plan and deliver
- Assume various agile development and DevOps roles as required
- Be up-to-date with development trends, cloud technologies, open source, and best practices
What do we need from you?
While we understand you might not have everything on the list, to be successful you are likely to have skill such as;
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related degree (or equivalent experience in software engineering)
- Experience developing and supporting serverless or microservice-based applications using several languages and frameworks (Java/JEE, Scala, Python, NodeJS)
- Experience with modern web development using tooling like Angular, Typescript, React, Bootstrap, etc. Having good design sense (colors, sizes, pixel perfection layouts) is a big plus
- Experience with Big Data technologies (Spark, Hadoop, Kafka, Airflow)
- Experience in production deployments on AWS/GCP/Azure
- Familiarity with DevOps tooling and processes (Terraform, Ansible, Packer, CFN, ARM, CircleCI, TravisCI, Gitlab, etc.)
- Familiarity with Agile development patterns like Kanban and Scrum
- Desire to work in a fast paced, deadline driven, start up environment
- Ability to communicate effectively, both oral and written, in a team setting
- Self-Motivated and able to work effectively in teams
What do you get in return?
- Competitive total rewards packages
- Why Commute? Work remotely when you like
- Outstanding people Collaborate with the industry’s top minds
- Substantial training allowance Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days, attend conferences, become cloud certified, whatever you like!
- Office Allowance Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment
- Fun, fun, fun Get social every Friday with some refreshments and edible delights, blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity
Established in 1997 Pythian is a global IT Data company based in Ottawa, ON, that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We are focusing on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. Pythian is seeking a Software Developer who will serve as a technical contributor to Pythian's KickAaas Team. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
Pythian’s KickAaaS Analytics As A Service Puts The Power Of Data In The Hands Of Everyone So They Can Make More Informed Decisions, Develop New Revenue Streams, Improve Customer Experiences, And More. This fully-managed, end-to-end service brings your multi-source, multi-format data together in the cloud. Then Pythian helps with advanced analytics and visualizations to ensure business users and data scientists alike get what they need from the data.
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife. Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open in Ottawa and around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check