Windows Principal Consultant
Location: The Americas
2018 sees Pythian continuing to grow and build a next-generation of expert teams. This means that although this position is not available today, we are forecasting this position to be active and in “ready to hire” status within the next 3-6 months.
In preparation for this demand, we are welcoming applicants to apply, and if chosen, to continue through the interview process at this time which includes: technical stages and discussions with Human Resources.
Does This Sound Like You?
Community minded? Inspired by ever-shifting challenges, constant growth and collaboration with a team of peers who push you constantly to up your game? At Pythian, we are actively shaping what it means to be a Windows Principal Consultant and we want you to be a part of our global team of professionals.
Pythian is a global IT services company that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies to advance innovation and increase agility. Our highly skilled technical teams work as an integrated extension of our clients’ organizations to deliver continuous transformation and uninterrupted operational excellence.
- Flexible environment: Work remotely from your home!
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds around the world!
- Substantial training allowance: Every year you are provided with a self-directed budget and two professional development days so you can hone your skills or learn new ones! So experiment and explore using our in-house sandbox!
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity #giveback.
The Principal Consultant will, as part of a team based approach, supply complete support for all aspects of Windows and Azure support to a variety of clients, as assigned. They will assist in ensuring quality and adherence to technical processes and standards with regards to the servicing of clients, and take on a greater role in supporting Pythian’s external profile and in the training and mentoring of team members.
- Be a thought leader in cloud architecture
- Mentor internal and external teams’ strong CI/CD processes while delivering against an agile backlog
- Model standards of excellence for internal and external written communication
- Develop web application architecture models to further enable effective service oriented delivery
- Research, evaluate, and formally recommend third party software and technology packages
- Model the proper use of continuous integration and continuous delivery processes and tools
- Audit existing architectures, document best practices and recommendations
- Provide component or site-wide performance optimizations and capacity planning
- Work with client development teams directly to help engineer highly available, more manageable infrastructure
- Create automated provisioning solutions for servers, environments, and data centers using infrastructure-as-code
- Periodic travel to client sites for face to face meetings and presentations
- Manage and meet the expectations for deliverable completion timelines
- Other duties as assigned by Management
- Experience architecting Azure Cloud Environments. Experience with other major cloud environments considered a bonus
- Windows Server SysAdmin hands on experience. Experience with Linux / Unix considered a bonus
- Demonstrated knowledge of full-stack development for production internet application systems
- Strong understanding of web application architecture
- Understanding of core operational processes - incident and problem management, CM and change management, working with SLAs
- Support common open-source application stacks: java, RoR, Django, NodeJS
- Be fluent in at least 2 object oriented languages, preferably powershell and python, and have familiarity with strongly typed languages as well
- Proficient in writing scripts for maintenance and automation in a variety of languages (e.g. bash, perl, python, ruby, powershell)
- Advanced HA and Scalability techniques and tools including data sharding, load balancing, autoscaling, caching
- Demonstrated excellence with continuous delivery and deployment patterns and tools (Jenkins, Artifactory, Maven, etc)
- Proven ability to work with software engineering teams and understand complex development systems and patterns
- Experience working with microservice architectures in containerized environments, and familiarity with associated operational challenges: load balancing, service discovery, orchestration, monitoring, security, etc
- Interfacing with external customers, strong customer service focus with the ability to manage customer expectations and priorities
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Self-motivated and directed, while working in a fast-paced demanding environment
- Keen attention to detail
- Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities
- Very effective organizational skills
- Ability to work in and lead a team
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
- Understanding of current IT service standards such as ITIL
- Strong drive and well-cultivated personal habits for continuing education
- Good Project Management, time management, scheduling and coordination skills
- Participate in on-call rotation and periodic overtime
- Ability to perform primary job functions while standing or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dexterity of hands and fingers (or skill with adaptive devices) to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other computing equipment
- The incumbent must spend long hours in intense concentration
- Stress may be caused by the need to complete tasks within tight deadlines
Intrigued to see what it is like to work at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife.
Stay connected with us! Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
- An equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer
- All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check
- Pythian welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process