Software Engineering Manager, Core
Are you a motivated, energetic and experienced hands-on technical manager? Can you lead and grow a highly collaborative and talented Core & Infrastructure team? The Software Engineer Manager, Core is a role is responsible for driving development of our digital tooling across our internal and client facing business systems. You will, through the Agile methodology, closely collaborate with product management, developers and UX to ensure that the detailed designs and requirements meet the needs of our consumers and internal stakeholders. Additionally, the leader will be responsible for helping to define and drive the processes that contribute to the successful delivery of the team’s product. This is a very hands-on technical job but requires to have great people skills and an appreciation of their importance. excellent prioritization and scheduling skills as well as successful delivery of product in an environment with tight schedules and high quality expectations.
What Will You Be Doing?
- Oversee the daily activities of the development team within an Agile and SCRUM environment
- Work closely with the developers to develop the best technical design and approach
- Participate in design reviews and code reviews as needed
- Maintain technical skills and awareness of technical improvements
- Have a commitment to continuous improvement and innovation with a strong desire to improve the activity of product development
- Provide coaching and feedback on team member performance and career development
- Develops team leadership and succession plan for the team by hiring, training, and mentoring individuals to meet their career development goals
- Track progress against multiple projects schedule and resolve/mitigate project issues
- Perform other duties as may be directed by management
- Ensure compliance with quality standards, regulatory and other business systems
What Do We Need From You?
While we know you may not have everything on the list to be successful you are likely to have
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering
- 7+ years experience developing large-scale enterprise applications and/or micro-services
- 2+ years experience leading and growing agile teams
- Experience with variety of SQL (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Hibernate/ORM) and/or NoSQL databases (Cassandra, Mongo, RethinkDB, ElasticSearch)
- Familiarity with DevOps tooling for development (Docker, Vagrant), orchestration (Kubernetes, Google, or AWS cloud) and deployment (Ansible, Puppet, Chef). Experience in production deployments on IaaS (AWS, GCE, Azure, OpenStack) and PaaS (CloudFoundry) a plus
- Familiarity with Jira or other productivity platform extension development
- Desire to work in a fast paced, deadline driven, startup like environment
What Do You Get in Return?
- Competitive total rewards packages
- Why Commute? Work remotely
- Outstanding people Collaborate with the industry’s top minds
- Substantial training allowance Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days
- Office Allowance Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment
- Fun, fun, fun Get social every Friday with some refreshments and edible delights, blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity
Pythian is a global IT Data company based in Ottawa, ON, that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We have continued to expand to offer not just services but also to focus on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. Pythian is seeking a Software Engineering Manager, Core who will serve as a technical contributor to Pythian's Software-Defined Enterprise (SDE) a team that acts as a hub for innovation within Pythian, who are charged with the research and development of new product offerings. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife. Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open in Ottawa and around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check