2018 sees Pythian continuing to grow and build a next-generation of expert teams. This means that although this position is not available today it will be open in the near future. In preparation for this demand, we are welcoming applicants to apply now, and if select to continue through the interview process we are forecasting this position to be active and in “ready to hire” status within the next 3-6 months.
Do you want to work in an agile start up like environment with new technology? As the Software Developer you will work as part of an agile continuous delivery team and collaborate with designers, senior developers, operators, project managers, and others to help deliver product capabilities and features to Pythian's groundbreaking cloud based product (Tehama). You will be working to develop brand new cloud first solutions (no legacy work here!) including the automation of infrastructure; you get to work with cutting edge technologies and frameworks like NPM, Node.js, React, Typescript, Golang, Python and AWS. If you have a passion for development and problem solving this could be the job for you!
What Will You Be Doing?
- Working as part of an agile development team, developing new features of new cloud based solution working in quick sprints to deliver software with quality and efficiency.
- Writing code, tests, performing research and analyse to become an expert in cutting-edge technologies, frameworks, architecture and design.
- You will move fast: look for new ideas, quickly prototype, A/B test, and move to production.
- You'll be working with development and project management teams to define user story acceptance criteria during a sprint, break down complex stories into tasks, estimates, plan and then deliver.
- Interacting with architects, UX, and Ops and participating in architecture, design, and review meetings.
- Assuming various agile development and DevOps roles as required.
- Staying up-to-date with development trends, cloud technologies, open source, and best practices.
- Collaborating with cross-functional team members on all aspects of development and process.
- Mentoring more junior developers, doing code reviews and peer programming
What Do We Need From You?
While we understand you might not have everything on the list, to be successful you are likely to have skills like this;
- An Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related degree (or equivalent experience in software engineering)
- Would be great if you have some experience with DevOps tooling for development (Docker, Vagrant), orchestration (Kubernetes, Google, or AWS cloud) and deployment (Ansible, Puppet, Chef)
- Exposure to production deployments on IaaS (AWS, GCE or Azure)
- Knowledge of SQL (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Hibernate/ORM) and/or NoSQL databases (Cassandra, Mongo, RethinkDB, ElasticSearch), a variety would be great.
- Experience working in agile teams and mentoring more junior developers, including coop students
- The desire to work in a fast paced, deadline driven, start up like environment
What Do You Get in Return?
- Competitive total rewards packages
- Why Commute? Work remotely when you like
- Outstanding people Collaborate with the industry’s top minds
- Substantial training allowance Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days, attend conferences, become cloud certified, whatever you like!
- Office Allowance Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment
- Fun, fun, fun Get social every Friday with some refreshments and edible delights, blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity
Established in 1997 Pythian is a global IT Data company based in Ottawa, ON, that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We are focusing on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. Pythian is seeking a Software Developer who will serve as a technical contributor to Pythian's Tehama Platform Team. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
Tehama is the fastest, simplest, and most flexible approach to delivering secure and integrated digital end-user computing (EUC) available today. Our service delivery platform enables organizations to easily onboard, manage, and scale their distributed workforce, by providing “ready to work” integrated and secured EUC environments with controlled access and monitoring—connecting new workers in minutes, not months. The result is decreased time to value, decreased operational costs, and a flexible work model that lets you move at the speed of today’s world.
The Tehama platform is currently in private beta and launching publicly in the second half of 2018.
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife. Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open in the GTA and around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check