Big Data Consultant | Developer
Location: EU| Remote | Work from Home
2018 sees Pythian continuing to grow and build a next-generation of expert teams. This means that although this position is not available today, we are forecasting this position to be active and in “ready to hire” status within the next 3-6 months.
In preparation for this demand, we are welcoming applicants to apply, and if chosen, to continue through the interview process at this time which includes: technical stages and discussions with Human Resources.
As the Big Data Consultant you will plan, design and implement new solutions using modern Big Data technologies and provide onsite and remote consulting services to Pythian clients. This client-facing role requires strong technical leadership skills, ability to drive projects to success and work under stress in fast-paced environments.
As a member of the Big Data Team, you will also provide support in the area of internal advocacy for new products and technologies as well as external advocacy supporting Pythian’s external profile such as conference participation, open-source projects contributions, blogging and writing white papers.
What will you be doing?
Provide support to Pythian clients on all aspects of Big Data technologies, including but not limited to:
- Data processing requirements analysis.
- Big Data platform architecture taking into account requirements of data ingestion and access patterns, scalability, response time and availability. This include both on premise Hadoop-based platforms as well as cloud specific technologies like Amazon Redshift, Google Bigquery and others.
- Advisory and recommendations on Big Data technologies and products including hardware and software.
- Big Data infrastructure deployment and configuration.
- Performance tuning for batch and real-time data processing.
- Securing components of clients’ Big Data platforms.
- Diagnostics and troubleshooting of operational issues.
- Health-checks and configuration reviews.
- Data pipelines development – ingestion, transformation, cleansing.
- Data flow integration with external systems.
- Integration with data access tools and products.
- Assisting application developers and advising on efficient data access and manipulations.
- Defining and implementing efficient operational processes.
What do we need from you?
While we understand you might not have everything on the list, to be successful you are likely to have skills such as;
- The position requires broad range of knowledge and skills in the area of database management and software development gained through a combination of formal education, professional certifications, and significant work experience.
- This position requires out of the box thinking, creative mindset and “anything possible” attitude. Fast paced intense environment regularly pushing the barriers of one’s skills, knowledge and experience.
- Successful candidate will possess most the following and demonstrate ability to learn them and start applying in practice quickly:
- Experience transforming business requirements into software or system design.
- Designing and implementing complex data processing applications.
- Strong experience with Hadoop/Spark and cloud technologies.
- Strong background in relational databases.
- Strong Linux/Unix experience.
- Experience and working knowledge of various development platforms, frameworks and languages such as Python, Java or Scala.
- General knowledge of modern data-center and cloud infrastructure including server hardware, networking and storage.
- Experience with BI platforms, reporting tools, data visualization products, ETL engines.
- Experience in design and implementation of real time analytics pipelines.
- DevOps experience. Ansible and Terraform experience is a plus.
What do you get in return?
- Competitive total rewards package
- Flexible work environment: Why commute? Work remotely from your home, there’s no daily travel requirement to the office!
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Substantial training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days, attend conferences, become certified, whatever you like!
- Amazing time off: Start with a minimum 3 weeks vacation, 7 sick days, and 2 professional development days!
- Office Allowance: Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment!
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
Established in 1997, Pythian is a global IT Data company based in Ottawa, Canada that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We are focusing on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
As a Big Data Consultant / Developer in the EU you will be part of our Customer Service Delivery team that is entrusted to manage our global client's mission critical systems as well as deploying cutting edge technology from blockchain to serverless and cloud databases, covering all modern data and infrastructure. They deliver first class personalized level of service to our clients across financial, educational, media, retail and many more.
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian? Check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife.
Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open in the EU and around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered.
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- The successful applicant will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check.