Big Data Principal Architect
Location: North America Remote | Work from Home
2018 sees Pythian continuing to grow and build a next-generation of expert teams. This means that although this position is not available today, we are forecasting this position to be active and in “ready to hire” status within the next 3-6 months.
In preparation for this demand, we are welcoming applicants to apply, and if chosen, to continue through the interview process at this time which includes: technical stages and discussions with Human Resources.
As a North American based Big Data Principal Architect you will be a recognized thought leader in Big Data technologies and related business metrics for enterprises and startups alike. You will conduct strategic planning of an organization’s Big Data platform maturity with a focus of fulfilling business requirements around cost, scalability and flexibility of the platform. You will draft technology roadmaps documenting best practice gaps with precise steps of how to get there.
As an architect you will work with project managers and consultants to ensure that each new iteration of functionality conforms to best practices, which demonstrate easily understood business value, and that design impacts are fully understood across all dimensions of our operation. You will also implement the details of the backlog you have helped build, consistent with best practices and customer satisfaction. If you have a passion for solving complex problems then this could be the job for you!
What will you be doing?
- Be a thought leader in Big Data architecture space.
- Lead pre-sales and new project estimation process.
- Travel to client sites frequently to provide face to face consulting services as well as delivering from home.
- Mentor internal and external teams while delivering against an agile backlog.
- Model standards of excellence for internal and external written communication.
- Develop application data architecture models to further enable effective service oriented delivery.
- Research, evaluate and formally recommend third party software and technology packages.
- Audit existing architectures, document best practices and recommendations.
- Provide component or site-wide performance optimizations and capacity planning.
- Work with client development teams directly to help engineer highly available, more manageable Big Data platforms.
- Periodic travel to client sites for face to face meetings and presentations.
- Lead and meet the expectations for deliverable completion timelines.
What do we need from you?
While we understand you might not have everything on the list, to be successful you are likely to have skills such as;
- Experience Architecting Big Data platforms using Apache Hadoop, Cloudera, Hortonworks and MapR distributions.
- Strong knowledge of cloud data processing architectures.
- UNIX/Linux hands on experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data warehouse concepts.
- Strong understanding of distributed systems architecture.
- Be fluent in at least 2 object oriented language, preferably java and python, and have familiarity with functional languages as well.
- Proficient in SQL. Experience with Hive and Impala.
- Experience with several major distributed processing frameworks: Mapreduce, Spark, Spark Streaming, Storm, Flink.
- Experience with Kafka.
- Ability to work with software engineering teams and understand complex development systems and patterns.
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 30% of the time across North America.
- Experience with BI platforms, reporting tools, data visualization products, ETL engines.
- Real-time Hadoop query engines like Dremel, Cloudera Impala, Facebook Presto or Berkley Spark/Shark.
- DevOps experience.
- Experience with Hbase.
- Understanding of continuous delivery and deployment patterns and tools (Jenkins, Artifactory, Maven, etc).
What do you get in return?
- Competitive total rewards package
- Flexible work environment: Why commute? Work remotely from your home, there’s no daily travel requirement to the office!
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Substantial training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days, attend conferences, become certified, whatever you like!
- Amazing time off: Start with a minimum 3 weeks vacation, 7 sick days, and 2 professional development days!
- Office Allowance: Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment!
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
Established in 1997, Pythian is a global IT Data company based in Ottawa, Canada that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We are focusing on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
As a Big Data Principal Architect in North America, you will be part of our Customer Service Delivery team that is entrusted to manage our global client's mission critical systems as well as deploying cutting edge technology from blockchain to serverless and cloud databases, covering all modern data and infrastructure. They deliver first class personalized level of service to our clients across financial, educational, media, retail and many more.
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian? Check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife.
Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open in North America and around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered.
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- The successful applicant will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check.