Technical Project Manager – Managed Service
PST| Remote | Work from Home
2018 sees Pythian continuing to grow and build a next-generation of expert teams. This means that although this position is not available today it will be open in the near future. In preparation for this demand, we are welcoming applicants to apply now, and if selected to continue through the interview process we are forecasting this position to be active and in “ready to hire” status within the next 3-6 months.
As the Technical Project Manager (TPM) you will be responsible for the projects in the Managed Services organization. You will be customer obsessed, creative, have demonstrated technical leader and a hands-on contributor with superior project management, problem solving, technical, communication, cross-organizational leadership skills. This is not a typical project management role, we are not looking for a functional project manager, the TPM role requires someone who is highly technical, we are looking exclusively for candidates with very strong prior hands on technical experience in databases and ideally managed services. Maybe you previously worked as a database analyst or admin and moved into project management? Or maybe you’re are currently working as a DBA but have a strong interest in project leadership or have lead technical database focused project? If so this could be a great fit for you!
What will you be doing?
As the Technical Project Manager you will be responsible for portfolio of products and services for a specific customer or set of customers within the Managed Services Organization. The TPM is focused on customer success, has demonstrated technical leader capabilities along with superior project management, problem solving, technical, communication, and cross-organizational leadership skills.
- Developing and manage highly technically focused end-to-end project plans and ensure on-time delivery
- Perform risk management on projects
- Be an excellent communicator with great stakeholder management skills
- Interface with database engineering teams and client teams for project requirements and scope
- Interpersonal skills, including relationship building and collaboration within a diverse, cross-functional team
- Work closely with Product Management & DBA Engineering teams both within Pythian & Clients and provide strategic insights to define & improve product features
- Provide technical leadership to the team, drive closure of technical issues by working with the architect, developers and client teams
- Develop metrics to monitor project performance and bring in best practices and champion process improvement initiatives across the Managed Services organization
- Play the role of a key adviser to the architects and engineers
- Report to Pythian & Clients on Project Financials
- Have a good understanding of Database Architectural patterns and implementations
- Motivate and guide highly technical database engineers & developers
What do we need from you?
While we know you may not have everything on the list, to be successful in this role you are like to have;
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science / Engineering or a related technical discipline is preferred
- If you are PMP or Agile CSM certified that would be great
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in Information Technology with hands on technical experience as a Database Administrator or very strong technical knowledge of Databases
- Very strong hands on technical knowledge of Orace, MSSQL or OSDB Databases
- 3 years of project management experience ideally in a Managed Services organization
- Experience in managing Agile projects. Leading Sprint Planning, Retrospective, Sprint Goals, Demo’s, etc.
- Experience in projects delivered via CICD (Continuous Integration Continuous Delivery)
- Exposure towards systems engineering, software engineering and contribution towards technical solution discussions
- Presentation skills with a high degree of comfort speaking with executives and c-level leaders in the company
What do you get in return?
- Competitive total rewards packages
- Why Commute? Work remotely from home!
- Outstanding people Collaborate with the industry’s top minds
- Substantial training allowance Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days
- Office Allowance Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment
- Fun, fun, fun blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity
Established in 1997 Pythian is a global IT services company based in Ottawa, Canada, who specialize in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We have continued to expand to offer not just services but also to focus on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. Our highly skilled technical teams work as an integrated extension of our clients’ organizations to deliver continuous transformation and uninterrupted operational excellence. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife. Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open in the Pacific Time Zone and around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check