North America | Remote | Work from Home Opportunity
2018 sees Pythian continuing to grow and build a next-generation of expert teams. This means that although this position is not available today it will be open in the near future. In preparation for this demand, we are welcoming applicants to apply now, and if selected to continue through the interview process we are forecasting this position to be active and in “ready to hire” status within the next 3-6 months.
As the DevOps Architect you must be able to lead teams, provide projecting planning and management for small to medium-sized projects. You will be responsible for leading project teams in technical implementation and aiding in pre-sales estimates and project management when necessary. Is automation is a way of life to you? Do you understand how to balance complexity and functionality? At the end of the day, DevOps Architects create interesting solutions using cutting edge technology and use their skills to deliver value to our clients, if this sounds like you then apply!
What Will You Be Doing?
- As a DevOps Consultant you must be able to work with both technical and non-technical team members at Pythian and at client sites.
- Time reporting and project tracking are necessary parts of the work that DevOps Consultants do.
- As a DevOps Architect you will become part of our clients’ teams in order to build trust and to provide leadership.
- Project technical design creation and documentation for both small and medium sized projects.
- Creating client-facing time estimates for technical implementation and delivery for both small and medium sized projects.
- Planning sprint tasks and providing direction to project team members.
- Overseeing deliverables from the rest of the project team, acting as a quality control gate by providing feedback and coaching for other members of the team, having deliverables be re-worked when necessary.
- Managing client relationships with regards to the current project to which the architect is assigned.
- Working with clients and business leaders to understand technical and business requirements.
- Discovering client requirements, and using them to add technical implementation estimates and details to statements of work.
- Estimating the technical effort for small and medium-sized client projects.
- Implementing technical project work and delivering it to clients.
- Researching, evaluating, and recommending third party software and technology packages.
- Providing component or site-wide performance optimizations and capacity planning models.
- Auditing existing architectures, documenting best practices, and making recommendations that align with client needs and objectives.
- Creating automated provisioning solutions for servers, environments, and data centers.
- Occasionally supporting the sales team by participating in pre-sales calls with potential clients to help scope new work, and collect technical information about client environments.
- Continuously learning and improving their technical skill set by growing knowledge of existing skills, and learning new technologies that may be useful for future work.
- Being an expert on a wide range of tools and platforms beyond what other team members know, and for learning new technologies quickly as required by the current sales pipeline.
- Periodic travel to client sites for face-to-face meetings and presentations.
What Do We Need From You?
- An undergraduate degree in computer science, computer engineering, information technology or related field.
- Experience architecting applications on major cloud provider platforms such as AWS, Azure, or GCP.
- Hands on experience as an administrator of Linux or Windows, preferably both.
- Strong understanding of web application architecture for high performing and scalable applications.
- Experience supporting common open-source application stacks such as Java, Ruby, or Python applications.
- Proficiency in at least one popular programming language, such as Java, Ruby, or Python.
- Proficient at writing scripts for maintenance and automation in a variety of languages (e.g. Bash, Python, Ruby, or Powershell).
- Skilled with common configuration management tools (Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc…)
- Skilled with DevOps workflows and tools (Vagrant, Docker, etc…)
- Skilled with common CI/CD tools (Jenkins, Bamboo, Unit testing frameworks, Artifactory, Maven, etc…)
- Strong writing skills, and the ability to clearly communicate complex ideas and designs through written and spoken word.
- A professional attitude, and the ability to work through conflict by empathizing with others and engaging in mutually beneficial negotiation.
- Be able to provide estimates for projects that are up to three months in length.
- Lead teams of up four people.
- The ability to occasionally travel to client sites.
What Do You Get in Return?
- Competitive total rewards packages
- Why Commute? Work remotely
- Outstanding people Collaborate with the industry’s top minds
- Substantial training allowance Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days
- Office Allowance Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment
- Fun, fun, fun Get social every Friday with some refreshments and edible delights, blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity
Pythian is a global IT services company based in Ottawa, ON, who specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We have continued to expand to offer not just services but also to focus on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. Our highly skilled technical teams work as an integrated extension of our clients’ organizations to deliver continuous transformation and uninterrupted operational excellence. Due to continued growth and success the job of DevOps Architect is forecast to open in the near future in the North American DevOps Transformation Team. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife. Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open in Ottawa and around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check