Service Desk Technician
2019 sees Pythian continuing to grow and build a next-generation of expert teams.
This means that although this position is not available today, we are forecasting this position to be active and in “ready to hire” status within the next 3-6 months. In preparation for this demand, we are welcoming applicants to apply and if chosen to be part of our Talent Pool where we will keep you informed of all things Pythian via a monthly Newsletter. This will also allow us to connect with you when the role goes live.
Do you want to work in an agile start up like environment with new technology? As a Service Desk Technician in Ottawa, you will be part of our team working to assist our clients with Pythian's groundbreaking cloud based product (Tehama). You will be working with cutting edge technologies and frameworks, providing end user support, and ensuring the corporate standards of security, hardware, and software platforms are met as part of this innovative team. If you have a passion for delivering extraordinary service, this could be the job for you!
What will you be doing?
- Responsible for providing end user support as part of the team and ensuring that corporate standards of security, hardware and software platforms are met.
- Expected to be the face of our Tehama platform and to take ownership of user requests. This may involve working with System Administrators and Development teams to resolve or escalate issues.
- Participation in the on-call rotation after hours within the team and logging all the troubleshooting activities.
- Triage and troubleshoot user requests and alerts from Tehama customers and partners.
- Assessing the case, collecting all the required data for either troubleshooting or escalation up the chain.
- Owning and following up on tickets until their resolution.
- Build and maintain trustful relationships between the user base and Tehama team.
- Encourage users to share which IT services they are experiencing issues with and what IT services they want.
- Collect and analyze the information.
- Generate feature requests and infrastructure changes.
- Complete daily routine checking on infrastructure status.
- Recognize typical issues or requests and reduce their frequency by educating Tehama partners and user base and by creating FAQ articles.
- RCA (root cause analysis).
- Analyze incoming requests and alerts in order to discover the problem that is causing them and escalating accordingly.
- Look for ways to make the usage of Tehama services simpler.
- Discover inconsistencies in complying with corporate standards of security, hardware and software platforms and working with staff to resolve them.
- Continuous learning of the Tehama platform, technologies used, and internal procedures and policies.
- Document and keep up-to-date on product enhancements and new features on the Tehama public and internal wiki.
- Configure desktops, software and services.
- Attend meetings and log your activities.
- Other duties and projects as assigned by one’s Manager.
What do we need from you?
While we understand you might not have everything on the list, to be successful you are likely to have skills such as;
- A minimum of two years experience in End User Support is ideal or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Administration of Windows, Linux (Desktop and Server OS)
- Experience with TCP/IP networks and with DNS, DHCP, SMTP, FTP, CIFS, NFS
- Experience with Active Directory
- Experience with monitoring systems such as Nagios is considered an asset
- VPN, IPSec, Linux based Firewalls
- Linux based Web servers
- Google Apps
- ITIL knowledge is considered an asset
What do you get in return?
- Competitive total rewards package
- Flexible work environment: Why commute on an Ottawa snow day? Work from home!
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Substantial training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days, attend conferences, become certified, whatever you like!
- Amazing time off: Start with a minimum 3 weeks vacation, 7 sick days, and 2 professional development days!
- Office Allowance: Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment!
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
Established in 1997, Pythian is a global IT Data company based in Ottawa, Canada that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We are focusing on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
As a Service Desk Technician in Ottawa, you will be part of our Tehama team. Tehama is the fastest, simplest, and most flexible approach to delivering secure and integrated digital end-user computing (EUC) available today. Our service delivery platform enables organizations to easily onboard, manage, and scale their distributed workforce, by providing “ready to work” integrated and secured EUC environments with controlled access and monitoring—connecting new workers in minutes, not months. The result is decreased time to value, decreased operational costs, and a flexible work model that lets you move at the speed of today’s world.
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian? Check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife.
Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open in Ottawa and around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered.
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- The successful applicant will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check.