Oracle Database Consultant
Location: India | Remote | Work from Home
2018 sees Pythian continuing to grow and build a next-generation of expert teams. This means that although this position is not available today, we are forecasting this position to be active and in “ready to hire” status within the next 3-6 months.
In preparation for this demand, we are welcoming applicants to apply, and if chosen, to continue through the interview process at this time which includes: technical stages and discussions with Human Resources.
As an Oracle Database Consultant you will, as part of a team based approach, supply complete support for all aspects of database and application infrastructure to a variety of clients, as assigned.
What will you be doing?
- Coordinating, analyzing, designing, implementing and administering IT solutions.
- Recommending best practices for improvements to current operational processes.
- Configuring and maintaining database servers.
- Supporting Oracle Database services.
- Administering backup procedures and disaster recovery plans.
- Troubleshooting operational problems.
- Administering proactive daily checks.
- Responding to monitoring alerts.
- Presenting technical courses to customers.
- Participating in on-call coverage rotation plan.
- Communicating status and planning activities to customers and team members.
- Collaborating with remote team members.
- Working conditions:
- Participate in on-call rotation and periodic overtime.
- Ability to perform primary job functions while standing or sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers (or skill with adaptive devices) to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other computing equipment.
- The incumbent must spend long hours in intense concentration.
- Stress may be caused by the need to complete tasks within tight deadlines.
What do we need from you?
While we understand you might not have everything on the list, to be successful you are likely to have skills such as;
- Installing, configuring and upgrading Oracle databases.
- Oracle Administration including:
- Various storage engines.
- Oracle customer tools.
- Performance tuning of Oracle databases.
- Oracle technical support.
- Oracle tools.
- Designing and implementing various Oracle backup/recovery strategies.
- Oracle replication and slave setup.
- Coding scripts, procedures, functions, etc.
- Developing methods for monitoring.
- Linux/Unix and Shell scripting.
- Experience with RAC.
- Knowledge in Exadata, DataGuard and RMAN
- GoldenGate is a plus
- Working directly with external customers.
- Project managing.
- White paper writing, blogging and presenting skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Personal attributes:
- Interfacing with external customers, strong customer service focus with the ability to maintain customer expectations and priorities.
- Excellent oral and written communication.
- Self-motivated and directed, while working in a fast-paced demanding environment.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Strong analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Very effective organizational skills.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Demonstrate sound work ethics.
- Understanding of current IT service standards such as ITIL.
- Undergraduate degree in computer science, computer engineering, information technology or related field or equivalent experience.
What do you get in return?
- Competitive total rewards package
- Flexible work environment: Why commute? Work remotely from your home, there’s no daily travel requirement to the office!
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Substantial training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days, attend conferences, become certified, whatever you like!
- Amazing time off: Start with a minimum 3 weeks vacation, 7 sick days, and 2 professional development days!
- Office Allowance: Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment!
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
Established in 1997, Pythian is a global IT Data company based in Ottawa, Canada that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We are focusing on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
As an Oracle Database Consultant in India, you will be part of our Customer Service Delivery team that is entrusted to manage our global client's mission critical systems as well as deploying cutting edge technology from blockchain to serverless and cloud databases, covering all modern data and infrastructure. They deliver first class personalized level of service to our clients across financial, educational, media, retail and many more.
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian? Check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife.
Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered.
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- The successful applicant will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check.
- <Insert only if applicable> All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States of America permanently– Pythian will not sponsor, or file petitions of any kind on behalf of, a foreign worker to become a U.S permanent resident based on a permanent job offer, or to otherwise obtain authorization to work in the U.S.