Linux Site Reliability Consultant
Location: Pacific Timezone| Remote | Work from Home
Do you thrive on solving tough problems—even under pressure? Are you motivated by fast-paced environments with continuous learning opportunities? Do you enjoy collaborating with a team of peers who push you to constantly up your game?
At Pythian, we are building a next-generation Site Reliability Engineering team. We need motivated and talented individuals on our teams, and we want you!
You’ll act as a technology leader and advisor for our clients, as well as a mentor for other team members. Projects would include things such as infrastructure architecture, automation, and intelligent monitoring systems from the design phase through the implementation phase.
What will you be doing?
- Operate, maintain and administer solutions that contribute to the operational efficiency, availability and visibility of customer infrastructure.
- Plan maintenance activity, design documentation and standard procedures.
- Provide Root Cause Analysis reports for outages/incidents (ITIL - Problem Management).
- Observe and provide feedback on the current state of the client’s infrastructure, and identify opportunities to improve resiliency, reduce the occurrence of incidents and automate repetitive administrative and operational tasks.
- Contribute to, improve and maintain team documentation about client systems and infrastructure, procedures, policies and schedules.
- Gather and document information about client environments through audit activities, and analyze the information to identify opportunities for improvement and application of best practices.
- Work collaboratively with team mates to contribute to the continuous improvement of our working culture.
- Act as a technology leader for clients, as well as drive client discussions on technology road maps.
- Participate in an on-call rotation in an escalation capacity.
What do we need from you?
While we understand you might not have everything on the list, to be successful you are likely to have skills such as;
- Understanding the end to end operations of a ‘Business System’ vs components.
- Comprehensive systems hardware and network troubleshooting experience.
- Common Linux distribution platform installation, configuration and performance tuning
- TCP/IP networking, NIC bonding and network services configuration (DNS, NTP, DHCP, SMTP, etc).
- Operation and administration of virtual infrastructure, including experience with at least one hypervisor (VMware, Hyper-V, KVM, etc).
- Experience working with at least one major cloud provider - preferably Google but AWS or Azure would suffice (AWS, Azure, Google for example, including infrastructure as code deployment with Cloud Formation, Terraform, Opsworks etc).
- Ability to describe IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, pros and cons of each, use cases for virtualization and cloud.
- Administration of web servers and supporting technologies, including network load balancers.
- Familiarity with microservices and container technologies (Docker, lxc etc).
- Scripting and automation of administrative tasks using bash, perl, python, ruby, etc.
- Experience with the design, development and deployment of at least one major configuration management framework (i.e. Puppet, Ansible, Chef).
- System and application error investigation, troubleshooting of access/availability issues including deep multi system root cause analysis.
- Experience managing networking devices, such as switches and firewalls from a variety of vendors.
- Knowledge of DevOps tools, processes, and culture.
- Exposure and operational experience with network monitoring systems (NMS).
- Ability to pick up new technologies quickly.
What do you get in return?
- Competitive total rewards package
- Flexible work environment: Why commute? Work remotely from your home, there’s no daily travel requirement to the office!
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Substantial training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days, attend conferences, become certified, whatever you like!
- Amazing time off: Start with a minimum 3 weeks vacation, 7 sick days, and 2 professional development days!
- Office Allowance: Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment!
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
Established in 1997, Pythian is a global IT Data company based in Ottawa, Canada that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We are focusing on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
As a Linux Site Reliability Consultant in the Pacific Timezone, you will be part of our Customer Service Delivery team that is entrusted to manage our global client's mission critical systems as well as deploying cutting edge technology from blockchain to serverless and cloud databases, covering all modern data and infrastructure. They deliver first class personalized level of service to our clients across financial, educational, media, retail and many more.
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian? Check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife.
Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered.
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- The successful applicant will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check.
- All US applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States of America permanently– Pythian will not sponsor, or file petitions of any kind on behalf of, a foreign worker to become a U.S permanent resident based on a permanent job offer, or to otherwise obtain authorization to work in the U.S.