Linux Site Reliability Consultant
Location: Pacific Timezone| Remote | Work from Home
Do you thrive on solving tough problems—even under pressure? Are you motivated by fast-paced environments with continuous learning opportunities? Do you enjoy collaborating with a team of peers who push you to constantly up your game?
At Pythian, we are building a next-generation Site Reliability Engineering team. We need motivated and talented individuals on our teams, and we want you!
You’ll act as a technology leader and advisor for our clients, as well as a mentor for other team members. Projects would include things such as infrastructure architecture, automation, and intelligent monitoring systems from the design phase through the implementation phase.
- Operate, maintain and administer solutions that contribute to the operational efficiency, availability and visibility of customer infrastructure.
- Planning maintenance activity, design documentation and standard procedures
- Provide Root Cause Analysis reports for outages/incidents (ITIL - Problem Management)
- Observe and provide feedback on the current state of the client’s infrastructure, and identify opportunities to improve resiliency, reduce the occurrence of incidents and automate repetitive administrative and operational tasks.
- Contribute to, improve and maintain team documentation about client systems and infrastructure, procedures, policies and schedules.
- Gather and document information about client environments through audit activities, and analyze the information to identify opportunities for improvement and application of best practices.
- Work collaboratively with team mates to contribute to the continuous improvement of our working culture.
- Act as a technology leader for clients, as well as drive client discussions on technology road maps.
- Participate in an on-call rotation in an escalation capacity.
- Solid understanding of microservices architecture and container technologies (Kubernetes is a must, Docker, lxc etc)
- Experience working with at least one major cloud provider. Preferably Google but AWS or Azure would suffice (including infrastructure as code deployment with Cloud Formation, Terraform, Opsworks etc)
- Understanding the end to end operations of a ‘Business System’ vs components.
- Comprehensive systems hardware and network troubleshooting experience
- Common Linux distribution platform installation, configuration and performance tuning
- TCP/IP networking, NIC bonding and network services configuration (DNS, NTP, DHCP, SMTP, etc.)
- Operation and administration of virtual infrastructure, including experience with at least one hypervisor (VMware, Hyper-V, KVM, etc.)
- Ability to describe IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, pros and cons of each, use cases for virtualization and cloud
- Administration of web servers and supporting technologies, including network load balancers
- Scripting and automation of administrative tasks using bash, perl, python, ruby, etc.
- Experience with the design, development and deployment of at least one major configuration management framework (i.e. Puppet, Ansible, Chef)
- System and application error investigation, troubleshooting of access/availability issues including deep multi system root cause analysis
- Experience managing networking devices, such as switches and firewalls from a variety of vendors
- Solid understanding of DevOps tools, processes, and culture
- Exposure and operational experience with network monitoring systems (NMS)
- Ability to pick up new technologies quickly
- Flexible environment: Work remotely from home
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Generous vacation: Start with a minimum 3 weeks’ vacation.
- Personalized training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; experiment and explore using our in-house sandbox; participate in professional development days.
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
Want to know more? Check out this blog post about what it’s like to work at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife.
OTHER STUFF YOU SHOULD KNOW:
Pythian is an equal opportunity employer.
You may qualify even if your credentials don’t exactly match the profile.
Candidates who can demonstrate their ability to apply the necessary skills and who have an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
**All applicants need to successfully clear a background check.