North America | US | Canada | Remote | Work from Home Opportunity
Are you a North American based DevOps Architect? Can you lead technical teams? Provide projecting planning and management for small to medium-sized projects? Can you lead project teams in technical implementation and aid in pre-sales estimates and project management when necessary? Is automation is a way of life to you? Do you understand how to balance complexity and functionality? At the end of the day, DevOps Architects create interesting solutions using cutting edge technology and use their skills to deliver value to our clients, if this sounds like you then apply!
What Will You Be Doing?
- As a DevOps Architect Consultant you must be able to work with both technical and non-technical team members at Pythian and at client sites.
- Time reporting and project tracking are necessary parts of the work that DevOps Consultants do.
- As a DevOps Architect you will become part of our clients’ teams in order to build trust and to provide leadership.
- Project technical design creation and documentation for both small and medium sized projects.
- Creating client-facing time estimates for technical implementation and delivery for both small and medium sized projects.
- Planning sprint tasks and providing direction to project team members.
- Overseeing deliverables from the rest of the project team, acting as a quality control gate by providing feedback and coaching for other members of the team, having deliverables be re-worked when necessary.
- Managing client relationships with regards to the current project to which the architect is assigned.
- Working with clients and business leaders to understand technical and business requirements.
- Discovering client requirements, and using them to add technical implementation estimates and details to statements of work.
- Estimating the technical effort for small and medium-sized client projects.
- Implementing technical project work and delivering it to clients.
- Researching, evaluating, and recommending third party software and technology packages.
- Providing component or site-wide performance optimizations and capacity planning models.
- Auditing existing architectures, documenting best practices, and making recommendations that align with client needs and objectives.
- Creating automated provisioning solutions for servers, environments, and data centers.
- Occasionally supporting the sales team by participating in pre-sales calls with potential clients to help scope new work, and collect technical information about client environments.
- Continuously learning and improving their technical skill set by growing knowledge of existing skills, and learning new technologies that may be useful for future work.
- Being an expert on a wide range of tools and platforms beyond what other team members know, and for learning new technologies quickly as required by the current sales pipeline.
- Periodic travel to client sites for face-to-face meetings and presentations.
What Do We Need From You?
While we realise you might not have everything on the list to be the successful candidate for the DevOps Architect job you will likely have at least 10 years experience in a variety of positions in IT. The position requires specialized knowledge and experience in performing the following:
- Experience architecting applications on major cloud provider platforms ideal Google Cloud Platform (GCP) but Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure are also great.
- Hands on experience as an administrator of Linux or Windows, preferably both.
- Strong understanding of web application architecture for high performing and scalable applications.
- Experience supporting common open-source application stacks
- Proficiency in at least one popular programming language (Java, Python etc) and be able to write scripts for maintenance and automation in a variety of languages (e.g. Bash, Python, Ruby, or Powershell etc).
- Experience with common configuration management tools (Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc…)
- Be skilled with DevOps workflows and tools (Vagrant, Docker, etc…)
- Strong knowledge of automating deployment, scaling, and management of containerized applications ideally with hands on experience with Kubernetes K8s
- Be skilled with common CI/CD tools (Jenkins, Bamboo, Unit testing frameworks, Artifactory, Maven, etc…)
- Be able to provide estimates for projects that are up to three months in length.
- Lead teams of up four people.
- The ability to occasionally travel to client sites.
What Do You Get in Return?
- Competitive total rewards packages
- Why Commute? Work remotely
- Outstanding people Collaborate with the industry’s top minds
- Substantial training allowance Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days
- Office Allowance Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment
- Fun, fun, fun Get social every Friday with some refreshments and edible delights, blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity
Pythian is a global IT services company based in Ottawa, ON, who specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We have continued to expand to offer not just services but also to focus on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. Our highly skilled technical teams work as an integrated extension of our clients’ organizations to deliver continuous transformation and uninterrupted operational excellence. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife. Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open in Ottawa and around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check