Junior Full Stack Software Developer
2018 sees Pythian continuing to grow and build a next-generation of expert teams. This means that although this position is not available today it will be open in the near future. In preparation for this demand, we are welcoming applicants to apply now, and if selected to continue through the interview process we are forecasting this position to be active and in “ready to hire” status within the next 3-6 months.
As a Junior Full Stack software developer, you will serve as a technical contributor in Pythian's SDE group. You will work as part of an agile continuous delivery team and collaborate with designers, senior developers, UX, project managers, and others to help deliver product capabilities and features.
What will you be doing?
- Develop web, mobile, server and/or desktop applications quickly and with quality.
- Write code, write tests, research, analyse, and become an expert in cutting-edge technologies, frameworks, architecture and design
- Move fast: look for new ideas, quickly prototype, A/B test, and move to production
- Work with development and project management teams to define user story acceptance criteria during a sprint, break down complex stories into tasks, and estimate, plan and deliver
- Interact with architects, UX, and Ops. Participate in architecture, design, and review meetings.
- Assume various agile development and DevOps roles as required.
- Be up-to-date with development trends, cloud technologies, open source, and best practices
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members on all aspects of development and process
What do we need from you?
While we understand you might not have everything on the list, to be successful you are likely to have skills such as;
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering required
- 1-2 years experience with various front-end languages and/or frameworks for web development (Typescript, React, Bootstrap, LESS/Sass) is mandatory. Having good design sense (colors, sizes, pixel perfection layouts) is absolutely a big plus
- Experience developing server applications and/or micro-services using various languages and frameworks (Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python, Ruby on Rails).
- Experience with SQL (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Hibernate/ORM) and/or NoSQL databases (Cassandra, Mongo, RethinkDB, ElasticSearch) is a plus
- Familiarity with DevOps tooling for development (Docker, Vagrant), orchestration (Kubernetes, Google, or AWS cloud) and deployment (Ansible, Puppet, Chef). Experience in production deployments on IaaS (AWS, GCE, Azure, OpenStack) and PaaS (CloudFoundry) is a plus
- Familiarity with Jira or other productivity platform is a plus
- Experience with Kanban, Scrum and/or other agile development methodologies
- Desire to work in a fast paced, deadline driven, startup environment
- Ability to communicate effectively, both oral and written, in a team setting
What do you get in return?
- Competitive total rewards package
- Flexible work environment: Why commute? Work remotely from your home, there’s no daily travel requirement to the office!
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Substantial training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days, attend conferences, become certified, whatever you like!
- Amazing time off: Start with a minimum 3 weeks vacation, 7 sick days, and 2 professional development days!
- Office Allowance: Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment!
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
Established in 1997, Pythian is a global IT Data company based in Ottawa, Canada that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We are focusing on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
As a Junior Full Stack Software Developer in Ottawa, you will be part of our Software Defined Enterprise (SDE) team which acts as a hub for innovation within Pythian, charged with the research and development of new and internal product offerings to provide tools that empower Pythian’s knowledge workers.
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian? Check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife.
Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered.
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- The successful applicant will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check.