Do you enjoy solving tough problems—even under pressure? Are you motivated by fast-paced environments with continuous learning opportunities? Do you enjoy collaborating with a team of peers who push you to constantly up your game?
At Pythian, we are building a next-generation Systems Administrator. We need motivated and talented individuals on our teams, and we want you!
You’ll act as a technology leader and advisor for our clients, as well as a mentor for other team members. You will, as part of a team based approach, supply complete support for all aspects of server, network, storage and application infrastructure to Pythian’s internal Information Technology systems.
What will you be doing?
- Leads the day to day operations of Pythian’s critical infrastructures, ensure they are available to meet the needs of the company and it’s clients.
- Provides coordination, analysis, design, implementation, and administration of IT solutions, including support of various operating systems and utilities.
- Analyzes Pythian’s infrastructure and processes and recommends to Pythian, as appropriate, best practices for improvements to current operational processes and procedures.
- Provides configuration and maintenance of various components including but not limited to servers, storage, networks and backup devices.
- Provides administration of backup procedures and disaster recovery plans, provides proactive monitoring and respond to monitoring alerts as well as carry out troubleshooting of operational problems.
- Looks after backup, clustering, mirroring, and failover restoration and recovery of corrupted servers.
- Develops and review action plans (such as maintenance, deployment, upgrades, etc).
- Develops a thorough understanding of all relevant Pythian information including warnings, handoffs, briefing notes, etc.
- Participates in Incident Management, Problem Management and Problem Resolution, implements Changes and Service Requests, and designs/implements technical procedures for complex changes.
- Keeps Pythian information up to date including contact information, connectivity to various assets, escalation procedures, standard operating procedures such as wikis, and client specific security clearances. Maintains and is responsible for Pythian specific assets such as soft or hard access tokens, access cards and any other hard or soft asset provided, dedicated to or owned by Pythian.
- Maintains alignment with Pythian process requirements including, but not limited to, handovers, documentation and process acknowledgements, and incident reviews.
- Suggests and possibly designs/implements new monitoring checks, enhancements to SA toolkits, and other process improvements such as Initial Reviews, Performance Reviews, Audits, etc.
- Suggests improvements to systems tools such as Avail NG, etc., especially but not limited to those that increase the value of the service that Pythian brings to its clients.
What do we need from you?
While we understand you might not have everything on the list, to be successful you are likely to have skills such as;
- Minimum 5 Years of working experience in following:
- Expert Linux server skills and reasonable Windows knowledge. RHEL, CentOS, etc. Virtualization specifically VMWare vSphere, VMWare Horizon View.
- Veeam Backup Solutions.
- Clusters and HA solutions.
- AWS experience.
- System Monitoring.
- Networking experience, specifically Cisco and OpenVPN, Fortigate.
- Active Directory.
- Security Experience - firewall configuration, audit and intrusion detection systems.
- Management and automation tools and methods.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills; capable of writing proposals or papers, acting as a vendor liaison, making presentations to management, customers and peers, and working closely with upper management.
- Ability to solve problems quickly and automate processes.
- A solid understanding and practical experience with modern IT concepts including cloud computing, Hyper-converged systems, operating systems, virtualization, networking, storage, distributed computing, high availability, consolidation.
- A solid understanding and implementation experience of security methods, processes and procedures.
- Ability to program in an administrative languages for automation purposes.
- Undergraduate degree in computer science, computer engineering, information technology or related field or relevant experience.
What do you get in return?
- Competitive total rewards package
- Flexible work environment: Why commute on an Ottawa snow day? Work from home!
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Substantial training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days, attend conferences, become certified, whatever you like!
- Amazing time off: Start with a minimum 3 weeks vacation, 7 sick days, and 2 professional development days!
- Office Allowance: Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment!
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
Established in 1997, Pythian is a global IT Data company based in Ottawa, Canada that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We are focusing on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
As a Systems Administrator in Ottawa, you will be part of our Software Defined Enterprise (SDE) team which acts as a hub for innovation within Pythian, charged with the research and development of new and internal product offerings to provide tools that empower Pythian’s knowledge workers.
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian? Check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife.
Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open in Ottawa and around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered.
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- The successful applicant will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check.