SQL Server Database Consultant
Location: New Zealand | Remote | Work from Home
Are you community minded? Inspired by ever-shifting challenges, constant growth and collaboration with a team of peers who push you constantly to up your game? At Pythian, we are actively shaping what it means to be a SQL Server Database Consultant, and we want you to be a part of the world’s largest team of MSSQL professionals.
As a SQL Server Database Consultant you will, as part of a team based approach, supply complete support for all aspects of database and application infrastructure to a variety of clients, as assigned.
What will you be doing?
- Coordinating, analyzing, designing, implementing and administering IT solutions.
- Recommending best practices for improvements to current operational processes.
- Configuring and maintaining database servers.
- Supporting SQL Server Database services.
- Administering backup procedures and disaster recovery plans.
- Troubleshooting operational problems.
- Administering proactive daily checks.
- Responding to monitoring alerts.
- Presenting technical courses to customers.
- Participating in on-call coverage rotation plan.
- Communicating status and planning activities to customers and team members.
- Working conditions:
- Participate in on-call rotation and periodic overtime.
- Ability to perform primary job functions while standing or sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers (or skill with adaptive devices) to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other computing equipment.
- The incumbent must spend long hours in intense concentration.
- Stress may be caused by the need to complete tasks within tight deadlines.
What do we need from you?
While we understand you might not have everything on the list, to be successful you are likely to have skills such as;
- Installing, configuring and upgrading SQL Server 2008 - 2016 databases (2017 soon).
- SQL Server Administration including:
- Managing Server and Database storage.
- SQL Server third party tools.
- Performance tuning of database server.
- SQL Server management tools.
- Designing and implementing various backup/recovery strategies.
- Replication, log shipping, mirroring, clustering, AlwaysOn.
- SSRS & Power BI, SSIS, and BI experience.
- Coding scripts, procedures, functions, etc.
- Strong TSQL scripting and tuning experience.
- Performance tuning experience.
- Developing methods for monitoring.
- SSAS: Support of cubes, ETL processes and data warehouse environments.
- Supporting cloud migrations and environments, would be considered and asset.
- Awareness of development practices including but not limited to agile and waterfall.
- Working directly with external customers.
- Project managing.
- White paper writing, blogging and presenting skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Administering cloud solutions inc but not limited to Azure, AWS and Google Cloud.
- Developing cloud solutions inc but not limited to Azure, AWS and Google Cloud.
- Ability to lead and design technical project roadmaps with clients and internally.
- Powershell experience an advantage.
- Automation experience an advantage.
- Personal attributes:
- Interfacing with external customers, strong customer service focus with the ability to maintain customer expectations and priorities.
- Excellent oral and written communication.
- Self-motivated and directed, while working in a fast-paced demanding environment.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Strong analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Very effective organizational skills.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Demonstrate sound work ethics.
- Understanding of current IT service standards such as ITIL.
- Undergraduate degree in computer science, computer engineering, information technology or related field or equivalent experience.
What do you get in return?
- Competitive total rewards package
- Flexible work environment: Work from home! Why commute? Work remotely from your home, there’s no daily travel requirement to the office!
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Substantial training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days, attend conferences, become certified, whatever you like!
- Amazing time off: Start with a minimum 3 weeks vacation, 7 sick days, and 2 professional development days!
- Office Allowance: Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment!
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
Established in 1997, Pythian is a global IT Data company based in Ottawa, Canada that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We are focusing on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
As a Database Consultant in New Zealand you will be part of our Customer Service Delivery team that is entrusted to manage our global client's mission critical systems as well as deploying cutting edge technology from blockchain to serverless and cloud databases, covering all modern data and infrastructure. They deliver first class personalized level of service to our clients across financial, educational, media, retail and many more.
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian? Check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife.
Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open in New Zealand and around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered.
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- The successful applicant will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check.