Big Data Team Manager
North America | Canada | United States | Remote | Work from Home
Are you a North American based Big Data Manager? Do you want to work to both implement and help develop a cutting edge SaaS product like Pythian’s analytics as a service product KickAaaS a fully-managed, end-to-end service that brings multi-source, multi-format data together in the cloud with advanced analytics and visualizations? Do you have a strong working knowledge of modern Big Data and Data Analytics technologies both cloud and on prem? Can you lead a global remote team of Big Data Engineers and Architects delivering engineering solutions to a wide variety of clients? Can you be responsible for managing and coordinating all activities within the team; ensuring quality and adherence to process and standards; assisting Project Managers in managing client expectations, deliverables and overall client satisfaction? If you have a passion for big data, product management and technical leadership then this could be the job for you!
What will you be doing?
- Managing the daily activities of a globally dispersed team of around 10 Big Data Engineers and Architects.
- Providing overall coordination and communications leadership for the team
- Report to Director of Consulting on overall team performance and customer satisfaction
- Work with Project Stakeholders, Coordinators & Directors to staff engagements for the successful implementation of KickAaaS to Pythian’s clients
- Review incoming effort assessments for new customers
- Work with Architects and PMs to prioritizes, assigns and communicate work to team members
- Work closely with Pythian’s product development team to iterate and improve the KickAaaS product
- Review completed projects, highlighting areas to improve both the product and implementation
- Maintain high levels of team engagement, conducting team meetings and one on ones
- Develop performance targets for each of the Team members including hands on career planning and providing guidance to training opportunities as part of Pythian’s self-directed training program investing in you team so they can reach their full potential
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of all team members skill sets - identifying gaps and planning to address
- Work with coordinators to staff new projects and maintain proper staffing levels for existing projects. Strategically partnering with Talent Acquisition to attract new engineering talent to the Big Data team, conducting interviews, building talent pipeline etc.
What do we need from you?
While we realise you might not have everything on the list to be the successful candidate for the Solutions Architect job you will likely have at least 10 years experience in a variety of positions in IT. The position requires specialized knowledge and experience in performing the following:
- Several years of technical leadership and team management experience
- A product management background with a strong interest in helping us improve our product
- Strong desire to mix with the customers and improve the product and/or delivery
- Very strong knowledge of modern Big Data and Data Analytics technologies such as Kafka, Storm, Spark Streaming, Sqoop, Flume, Dataproc etc etc
- Excellent understanding of how to manage data
- Understanding of all roles required for organizational data management
- Ability to bridge the gap between delivery (technical) and business (stakeholders)
- Ability to influence and persuade without authority
- Ability to juggle many tasks at once
- Be the type who never says “That’s not my job.”
Established in 1997 Pythian is a global IT Data company based in Ottawa, ON, that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We are focusing on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. Pythian is seeking a team manager who will lead a team of technical contributors to Pythian's KickAaas Team. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
Pythian’s Analytics As A Service KickAaaS puts the power of data in the hands of everyone, so they can make more informed decisions, develop new revenue streams, improve customer experiences, and more! This fully-managed, end-to-end service brings your multi-source, multi-format data together in the cloud, then Pythian helps with advanced analytics and visualizations to ensure business users and data scientists alike get what they need from the data.
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife. Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open in Ottawa and around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered.
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- The successful applicant will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check.
- U.S. applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States of America permanently– Pythian will not sponsor, or file petitions of any kind on behalf of, a foreign worker to become a U.S permanent resident based on a permanent job offer, or to otherwise obtain authorization to work in the U.S.