Windows Site Reliability Consultant
Remote/Work from Home Opportunity
Do you thrive on solving tough problems—even under pressure? Are you motivated by fast-paced environments with continuous learning opportunities? Do you enjoy collaborating with a team of peers who push you to constantly up your game?
At Pythian, we are building a next-generation Site Reliability Engineering team. We need motivated and talented individuals on our teams, and we want you!
You’ll act as a technology leader and advisor for our clients, as well as a mentor for other team members. Projects would include things such as infrastructure architecture, automation, and intelligent monitoring systems from the design phase through the implementation phase. You will work with amazing clients from small start-ups to huge enterprises.
- Operate, maintain and administer solutions that contribute to the operational efficiency, availability and visibility of customer infrastructure.
- Planning maintenance activity, design documentation and standard procedures
- Provide Root Cause Analysis reports for outages/incidents (ITIL - Problem Management)
- Observe and provide feedback on the current state of the client’s infrastructure, and identify opportunities to improve resiliency, reduce the occurrence of incidents and automate repetitive administrative and operational tasks.
- Responsible for improving and maintaining team documentation about client systems and infrastructure, procedures, policies and schedules.
- Gather and document information about client environments through audit activities, and analyze the information to identify opportunities for improvement and application of best practices.
- Work collaboratively with teammates to contribute to the continuous improvement of our working culture.
- Solid understanding of system administration fundamentals with a Microsoft focus:
- Windows Server 2008R2 - 2016 deployment, configuration and performance tuning
- Active Directory architecture, deployment, migration and group policy management
- TCP/IP networking, NIC teaming, and network services configuration (DNS, NTP, DHCP, etc.)
- Strong understanding of backup solutions and how to map requirements into solutions
- Strong understanding of multiple monitoring solutions and how to implement and manage them
- Microsoft clustering technologies
- Administration of web servers and supporting technologies, IIS and .NET applications
- Understanding of containerisation
- Experience with System Center or related technology in the areas of:
- Systems and application monitoring
- Configuration management and provisioning
- Scripting and automation of administrative tasks using PowerShell/Python and Desired State Configuration
- Strong understanding of Cloud Systems (Azure, AWS and/or GCP)
- Understanding of identity management and synchronization solutions (Azure AD)
- IAAS - storage, vms
- Cloud deployments (Terraform, Azure ARM Templates, Cloudformation, Deployment Manager )
- Cloud automation and Scripting (Azure Automation, PowerShell, Python, YAML)
- Knowledge of VPC, Virtual networks, Resource groups
- Able to understand, plan, and implement hybrid connectivity between on-premises network equipment and multiple cloud providers (e.g IPSEC VPN)
- Cloud routing, firewalling, load balancing
- Familiarity with ITIL principles (change/incident management, etc)
- Ability to pick up new technologies quickly, understand problems and apply knowledge appropriately.
- Good organizational skills with the ability to work solo or as part of a delivery team as required
- Load Balancing - F5 BIG-IP LTM
- Knowledge of Cisco ASA 9.x-era firewalls with IPSec VPN
- Strong understanding of Cloud Systems (Azure, AWS or GCP)
- Understanding of configuration management tools (SCCM/Intune, Azure DSC, Ansible)
- Understanding of CI/CD pipelines
- Understanding of application containers (Docker) and deployment automation/orchestration (Kubernetes)
- Strong understanding of routing and dynamic routing protocols (BGP) in a cloud capacity and/or using Cisco/Juniper equipment
- Understanding of Linux operating systems administration (basic package management, BIND, apache, nginx, mysql experience, bash and/or shell scripting)
- Prior experience with planning and executing server migrations, P2V conversions, on-prem to cloud migration strategy; aligning these techniques with best practices.
- Prior time and experience recently working in a managed services environment or mid-to-large corporate enterprise IT environment, in either systems administration or engineering role is desired.
- Demonstrated experience with writing technical documentation, such as how-to KB article, runbook, whitepaper or similar items.
- Flexible environment: Work remotely from home
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Generous vacation: Start with a minimum 3 weeks’ vacation.
- Personalized training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; experiment and explore using our in-house sandbox; participate in professional development days.
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
Want to know more? Check out this blog post about what it’s like to work at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered.
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer.
- All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check.
All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States of America permanently– Pythian will not sponsor, or file petitions of any kind on behalf of, a foreign worker to become a U.S permanent resident based on a permanent job offer, or to otherwise obtain authorization to work in the U.S
Pythian welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.