Open Source Project Engineer
Location: EST Time Zone | Remote | Work from Home
Are you community minded? Do you blog, contribute to the Open Source community? Are you inspired by ever-shifting challenges, constant growth and collaboration with a team of peers who push you constantly to up your game? At Pythian, we are actively shaping what it means to be an open-source project engineer and we want you to be a part of the world’s largest team of MySQL, Cassandra, and MongoDB professionals.
Want to know more? Check out our MySQL Blog Page to see what puzzles we have been working on - read posts from Valerie Parham Thompson & Derek Downey!
What will you be doing?
As a Project Engineer, you are expected to be a technical expert who can build high quality technical solutions to achieve business objectives. You’ll be responsible for working both independently and on teams to understand the path of a project, provide insight on implementation details, and deliver world class solutions. You will be working as part of a team to create interesting solutions using cutting edge technology to deliver value to our clients.
What do we need from you?
While we understand you might not have everything on the list, to be successful you are likely to have skills such as;
- Strong experience working on and understanding of various types of open-source database technologies (MySQL, MongoDB, Cassandra, Postgres, etc).
- Strong understanding of web applications and distributed systems.
Experience supporting common open-source application stacks.
Proficient in at least one popular programming/scripting language (eg, Python, BASH, Golang, Ruby, Perl)
- Proficient with automation technologies to support orchestration, config management and service discovery.
- Familiar with multiple monitoring/alerting and metric collection systems.
- High level of experience with Cloud technologies (AWS, Google, Azure).
- Strong writing skills, and the ability to clearly communicate complex ideas and designs through written and spoken word.
- A professional attitude, and the ability to work through conflict by empathizing with others and engaging in mutually beneficial negotiation.
- The ability to be diplomatic, but also to assert contentious viewpoints, when necessary, in a respectful and professional manner.
- The ability to self-start and quickly learn new skills.
- The ability to occasionally travel to client sites.
What do you get in return?
- Competitive total rewards package
- Flexible work environment: Work from home! Why commute? Work remotely from your home, there’s no daily travel requirement to the office!
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Substantial training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days, attend conferences, become certified, whatever you like!
- Amazing time off: Start with a minimum 3 weeks vacation, 7 sick days, and 2 professional development days!
- Office Allowance: Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment!
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
Established in 1997, Pythian is a global IT Data company based in Ottawa, Canada that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We are focusing on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
As a Project Engineer, you will be part of our Customer Service Delivery team that is entrusted to manage our global client's mission critical systems as well as deploying cutting edge technology from blockchain to serverless and cloud databases, covering all modern data and infrastructure. They deliver first class personalized level of service to our clients across financial, educational, media, retail and many more.
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian? Check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife.
Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open around the world! Pythian Careers
- For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered.
- Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- The successful applicant will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check